Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money
Police in White Rock say scammers are using technology to impersonate well-known companies to dupe people out of money.  R-C-M-P say impostors use text messages, phone calls, emails and social media messages to scam people into thinking their from banks, or big companies like Amazon, FedEx and Microsoft. 

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money

4 in hospital in rollover crash

4 in hospital in rollover crash
Surrey R-C-M-P say a rollover crash sent two drivers, a passenger and an infant to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries yesterday afternoon.  Mounties say the crash happened in Whalley at King George Boulevard and 96th Avenue. 

4 in hospital in rollover crash

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers
President Jason Schilling said about two weeks before most kindergarten to Grade 12 students go back to class, it's unclear why new provincial standards will be in place for Sept. 1, while school divisions have until Jan. 1 to put their own policies and procedures on the books.

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says
Canada’s ambassador to the United States says she's telling Americans about the important relationship between the neighbours as Democrats develop their foreign policy and build unity behind Vice-President Kamala Harris at the party's national convention. Kirsten Hillman says she is talking with Democrats about how Canada makes the U.S. more resilient, secure and prosperous. 

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general
Senior public servants have been called to a House of Commons committee to explain the government's decision to buy a $9-million condo for the consul general in New York. Conservative MP Michael Barrett called the residence "excessive" and "opulent," and questioned why the procurement minister was not made aware of the purchase.

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports
The Canada Border Services Agency says a partial systems outage is impacting airports and that it is working to fix the issue. Toronto's Pearson airport says the outage is impacting customs kiosks in two terminals. The airport says travellers using those terminals may experience longer wait times at customs. 

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports