Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says
The Transportation Safety Board says mistakes by both the operators of a cargo ship and a pleasure craft resulted in the smaller boat being overturned in Vancouver’s harbour.  A report from the board released Wednesday says the pleasure craft had been rented from Granville Island Boat Rentals on Oct. 15, 2022, for a tour when three people and their two dogs were thrown into the water by the larger ship's bow wave. 

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative
The British Columbia government is providing $2.65 billion for upgrades to Highway 1 through the Fraser Valley in an effort to relieve traffic congestion and ease daily commutes between the communities of Langley and Abbotsford. The funding will go toward upgrades between Mount Lehman Road west of downtown Abbotsford to Highway 11 on the opposite side of the city.

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative

B.C. report explores inequalities in justice, health, child-welfare systems

B.C. report explores inequalities in justice, health, child-welfare systems
Kasari Govender's office released its latest report Wednesday, spotlighting human rights issues people face when they come into contact with 10 provincial systems, especially Indigenous people, women and other marginalized groups. 

B.C. report explores inequalities in justice, health, child-welfare systems

Driver of 1930s vehicle charged in Alberta car show crash that injured 2, killed dog

Driver of 1930s vehicle charged in Alberta car show crash that injured 2, killed dog
The driver of a 1930s vehicle has been charged after two pedestrians were struck and injured, and a dog was killed, in a crash at an Edmonton-area car show. RCMP in St. Albert were called to a collision last week at the Rock'n August Car Show.

Driver of 1930s vehicle charged in Alberta car show crash that injured 2, killed dog

Thundershowers to bring moisture to fire-weary regions of British Columbia

Thundershowers to bring moisture to fire-weary regions of British Columbia
The BC Wildfire Service says thundershowers are expected to bring some much-needed moisture to areas of the province where hundreds of fires are burning, including a destructive blaze in the Kootenays. It says in an update that the moisture will likely arrive in the Rocky Mountain Trench in the northeast, as well as the Southeast Fire Centre.

Thundershowers to bring moisture to fire-weary regions of British Columbia

Eight hospitalized, three dozen displaced after Vancouver apartment fire

Eight hospitalized, three dozen displaced after Vancouver apartment fire
Officials with the City of Vancouver say eight people have been taken to hospital after a fire at an apartment building in the Kitsilano neighbourhood. A statement from the city says the fire began at about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday and firefighters arrived "immediately" to fight the flames and evacuate residents. 

Eight hospitalized, three dozen displaced after Vancouver apartment fire