Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation
The Town of Golden confirmed Thursday that the fire burning south of the community had destroyed "several structures," but it did not provide specifics. It said in a social media post that the 1.33-square-kilometre blaze, known as the Dogtooth Forest Service Road fire, had spread north, but rain and a northern wind are expected to help the fire fight.

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses
The B.C. government says wineries can import grapes and juice to make their 2024 vintages after "devastating" losses this winter.  The province says allowing winemakers to import grapes from outside B.C. is a "temporary measure" to prop-up hundreds of wineries and thousands of jobs after freezing weather wiped out this year's harvest. 

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing
Almost all British Columbia communities have adopted the provincial government's plan to tackle the housing crisis by allowing more multi-unit homes on properties. The province says nearly 90 per cent of 188 local governments have followed the legislation that would allow for row homes, triplexes and townhouses on former single-home lots. 

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed
Metro Vancouver's transportation provider TransLink is warning of massive service cuts unless a $600-million funding gap is addressed. It says overall transit reductions of up to 50 per cent would be required starting in 2026, eliminating about 145 bus routes and "significantly reducing" SkyTrain, SeaBus and HandyDART services.

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered
Calgary emergency officials say they’re sending crews to help the Jasper wildfire while explaining why they briefly shuttered their evacuation centre just as the fire roared into the townsite and started burning structures. Sue Henry, the head of Calgary’s emergency services, said 19 Calgary crews were headed north to the fire scene.

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study
A study of British Columbia's deadly heat dome in 2021 says the risk factor most strongly associated with dying during those sweltering days was whether that person was receiving income assistance.

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study