Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Active wildfires tick up in central B.C., risk of lightning coming to the north

Active wildfires tick up in central B.C., risk of lightning coming to the north
There are two wildfires of note, meaning they are either highly visible or pose a threat to public safety, located in northwestern B.C. The wildfire service's map shows a cluster of about two dozen new fires sparked in the Cariboo.

Active wildfires tick up in central B.C., risk of lightning coming to the north

Targeted shooting in Surrey

Targeted shooting in Surrey
Police say they're investigating after a man turned up at the Surrey Memorial Hospital to receive treatment for minor gunshot injuries. R-C-M-P say officers were in the middle of responding to shots-fired reports along 66 Avenue near 127 Street when the man showed up at the hospital.

Targeted shooting in Surrey

Baby killed in crash

Baby killed in crash
Police say it happened early yesterday morning when the family's car collided with a tractor trailer. The two adults in the front were pronounced dead at the scene, while the baby was airlifted to hospital only to die a few hours later.

Baby killed in crash

B.C. to provide more funding for new medical school, founding dean appointed

B.C. to provide more funding for new medical school, founding dean appointed
Eby says $33.7 million will go toward the renovation of an interim space at an existing building on Simon Fraser's Surrey campus, as well as at leased space to accommodate classrooms, laboratories and offices.

B.C. to provide more funding for new medical school, founding dean appointed

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'
There has been a "major failure" in a well in Merritt prompting the city to ask its residents to stop all non-essential water use. The city says in a statement that the failure is in the Voght well and affects the city's water distribution system. 

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine
The ongoing war will top the agenda of the three-day summit following Russian missile attacks Monday that left death and destruction, including at a large children's hospital in Kyiv.

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine