Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP
RCMP say Canada Day celebrations led to tragedy in a small northern Alberta community. Mounties in Fort Vermilion say a 45-year-old man was fatally injured during Monday's parade.

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials
Officials say a flash flood west of Kamloops has impacted at least 20 homes in the community of Savona, but no injuries have been reported. Thompson-Nicola Regional District activated its emergency operations centre Monday the day after heavy rain that saw Highway 1 closed for several hours through the community.

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials

Calgary mayor warns water use too high as possible end to restrictions nears

Calgary mayor warns water use too high as possible end to restrictions nears
Calgary's mayor said it's unfortunate residents seem to have abandoned conservation efforts days before full water service is expected to be restored. Jyoti Gondek said Calgarians on Thursday blew past the daily threshold the city set to maintain water service after a massive water main ruptured three weeks ago.

Calgary mayor warns water use too high as possible end to restrictions nears

Barefoot hiker rescued after spending two cold nights in B.C.'s North Shore mountains

Barefoot hiker rescued after spending two cold nights in B.C.'s North Shore mountains
An ill-prepared hiker has been pulled out of British Columbia’s North Shore mountains after losing his shoes and all charge on his mobile phone. Allan McMordie of North Shore Rescue says the man was barefoot, in shorts, soaking wet and cramped up after spending two nights in the wilderness.

Barefoot hiker rescued after spending two cold nights in B.C.'s North Shore mountains

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave
In a decision posted online by Dave Teixeira, a spokesman for the children's relatives, the board says Schoenborn must not possess weapons, use alcohol or non-approved drugs or have contact with the relatives.

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight
British Columbia's government has amalgamated 11 health-professional colleges into two, setting the foundation for what it says is stronger oversight. Health Minister Adrian Dix says merging the colleges is part of the government's plan to ensure health professionals are regulated more consistently and robustly. 

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight