Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening
Police say a new grocery store in Prince George, B.C., has been hit by a spate of shoplifting that began 40 minutes after it opened its doors for the first time. The Buy-Low Foods store opened on Friday and police say that over the next three days a total of 12 shoplifting incidents were reported, involving 13 people and just over $450 in stolen merchandise.

Police say shoplifting started at new B.C. store 40 minutes after first opening

More rental housing units to come for Surrey

More rental housing units to come for Surrey
Construction is underway for more affordable rental housing units in Surrey. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says seniors, families and adults living with disabilities in the city will soon get access to dozens more units as construction is underway on the Harmony Apartments.

More rental housing units to come for Surrey

Sikh activists burn Modi effigy on anniversary of B.C. temple leader Nijjar's murder

Sikh activists burn Modi effigy on anniversary of B.C. temple leader Nijjar's murder
Sikh activists marked the anniversary of the killing of British Columbia temple leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar by holding a mock murder trial for Indian President Narendra Modi Tuesday outside the Indian consulate in downtown Vancouver. An effigy of Modi, dressed in prison stripes, was paraded down the street in a makeshift cage before the mock trial began on Tuesday. 

Sikh activists burn Modi effigy on anniversary of B.C. temple leader Nijjar's murder

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people
More than 50 people from a supportive-housing complex in Nanaimo were displaced Sunday after a fire in a mattress that was started by a cigarette. Troy Libbus, Nanaimo Fire Rescue's assistant chief, said their crew responded to an alarm at Samaritan Place, a supportive-housing complex that has 51 units. 

Fire at Nanaimo supportive housing displaced more than 50 people

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison
A man convicted of first-degree murder for killing his business partner in Port Coquitlam in 1994 has died in prison. Correctional Service Canada says David Anthony Lowe, an inmate at William Head Institution near Victoria, died of apparent natural causes last week. 

Man convicted of murder 20 years ago dies in B.C. prison

One dead in Burnaby stabbing

One dead in Burnaby stabbing
Police in Burnaby say homicide investigators are looking for any witnesses or dash-camera footage after a fatal stabbing yesterday evening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a stabbing along 1st Avenue near Ingleton Avenue at around 6:15 p-m. 

One dead in Burnaby stabbing