Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Mountie transferred from Bella Bella, B.C., after complaints about Facebook posts

Mountie transferred from Bella Bella, B.C., after complaints about Facebook posts
The leadership of a First Nation on British Columbia's central coast says an RCMP officer has been transferred after the community called for his removal from Bella Bella over social media comments he made before joining the Mounties. A statement posted by the Heiltsuk Tribal Council on Wednesday says RCMP told the nation that the transfer process for the constable was complete and he would be leaving the community this weekend.

Mountie transferred from Bella Bella, B.C., after complaints about Facebook posts

Glider crashes near Calgary, one dead

Glider crashes near Calgary, one dead
Turner Valley RCMP in Alberta say one person is dead after a glider aircraft crashed on Wednesday afternoon, south of Calgary. Police say they received a 911 call advising that a small non-motorized glider aircraft had crashed in a field south of Highway 7 and 112 Street, west of Foothills County near Diamond Valley.

Glider crashes near Calgary, one dead

City council strips Kamloops B.C. mayor of ability to speak on behalf of the city

City council strips Kamloops B.C. mayor of ability to speak on behalf of the city
The mayor of Kamloops will no longer speak for the city, after council passed a resolution stripping him of his position as its official spokesman. The decision comes after more than a year of conflict between Mayor Reid Hamer-Jackson, council, and city staff, including allegations that the mayor has poor communication skills, won't accept responsibility, ignores confidentiality protocols, and misunderstands the rules around conflict of interest.

City council strips Kamloops B.C. mayor of ability to speak on behalf of the city

BC not on most affordable cities list

BC not on most affordable cities list
British Columbia has failed to make an appearance in a new list of Canada's most affordable cities.  The Royal LePage report found Quebec City and Edmonton are the top choices for relocation due in part to their lower costs of living.

BC not on most affordable cities list

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George
Mounties in Prince George say an investigation has led to the seizure of drugs and various weapons from two homes. They say quantities of drugs, including suspected fentanyl, were found during the search on May 14th. Mounties are calling it a "significant blow" to the illicit drug trade in Prince George.

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George

2 arrested in pepper spray attack

2 arrested in pepper spray attack
New Westminster police say two people have been arrested after a student was attacked with pepper spray at a high school earlier this month. The incident happened at New Westminster Secondary School the morning of May 17th.

2 arrested in pepper spray attack