Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism
Quebec Premier François Legault is defending his comments about a new history museum after he was accused by a prominent First Nations group of trying to erase their history.

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken
The president of London Drugs has issued a letter apologizing for a cybersecurity incident that forced the company to close stores for more than a week, but he says there's no evidence customer databases were compromised.

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response
Another barge went adrift in Vancouver's English Bay, prompting a quick response from the Canadian Coast Guard.

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease
The Columbia River watershed in B.C. has been declared an infected area for whirling disease, a parasite that causes deformities in fish and has a high mortality rate.

B.C.'s Columbia River watershed declared infected with fish-killing whirling disease

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use
On the same day the British Columbia government's approach to the overdose crisis faces a major shift, the provincial coroner announced another 192 people were killed by illicit drugs in March.

B.C. drug deaths reach 192 in March; Ottawa approves request to prohibit public use

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again
Public drug use became illegal in British Columbia once again on Tuesday, after the federal government granted the province's request to scale back its drug decriminalization pilot.  The change represents a major policy climbdown for the provincial NDP government more than a year into the three-year pilot program with Ottawa that is aimed at tackling the deadly overdose crisis. 

Ottawa approves British Columbia's request to make public drug use illegal again