Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern
A B.C. government lawyer says court documents in a policing dispute with the City of Surrey contain significant allegations of harassment and bullying by the RCMP that should be kept from public view because they could cause "undue public concern." Trevor Bant was speaking at the start of a hearing on Surrey's petition challenging a direction by Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth that the city transition from the RCMP to the municipal Surrey Police Service.

Lawyer says RCMP bullying claims in Surrey policing case could cause 'undue' concern

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested
A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 27-year-old Dimitri Nelson Hyacinth has been charged over the alleged assault of a 28-year man, Jatinder Singh, along the White Rock pier and promenade on April 21st. Two days later, 26-year-old Kulwinder Singh Sohi was fatally stabbed in the same area, though R-C-M-P did not provide an update on any further charges.

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature
A proposal by British Columbia Conservative Leader John Rustad to use "biological sex" to classify participants in publicly funded sports teams and events, effectively banning transgender athletes, didn't get to first base.

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million
The Alberta government will consult with the province's sexual assault centres to determine how to spend an additional $10 million over the next three years.

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary
The mayors of Alberta's two biggest cities say the province has pulled $12 million in funding meant to help low-income residents access public transit.

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary

Residential Schools Lawsuit

Residential Schools Lawsuit
The lawyer for a residential school survivor leading a proposed class-action lawsuit against the Catholic Church and one of its priests says legal action is a fallback to get everyone to come together and resolve the issue.

Residential Schools Lawsuit