Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health
Burnaby Hospital and Fraser Health say a new robot assisted surgery system is set to be put into action, the first in Western Canada.  The Burnaby Hospital Foundation and the health authority say teams are now training on the Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted, a 2.3 three million dollar addition to the hospital's Jim Pattison Surgery Centre. 

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport
Police have charged nine people in the Hollywood movie-worthy heist of nearly 24-million dollars in cash and gold one year ago today at Toronto's Pearson airport. They include two men who worked for Air Canada and an alleged gun trafficker.

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist
British Columbia's construction industry says its workforce numbers have improved in recent years, but labour shortages persist and are putting "extreme pressures" on employers. The BC Construction Association says the shortage of qualified workers has pushed the average annual wage in the sector to just short of $75,000, up 21 per cent in the last five years.

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder
A Burnaby man has been charged with second-degree murder for his involvement in a stabbing in Vancouver earlier this month. Vancouver police say the 29-year-old suspect was arrested on April 4th, a day after a 49-year-old woman was found dead just north of Fraserview Golf Course.

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal
The B.C. Court of Appeal has upheld the manslaughter conviction of a man who claimed he lashed out in self defence, in part because of his claustrophobia, resulting in an elderly man's death at a Vancouver Costco in 2017.  A ruling released Monday says Thomas Toth was convicted of manslaughter in 2020, three years after he got into a physical altercation with 86-year-old Orlando Ocampo "that had tragic consequences." 

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal

B.C. to add 240 complex-care housing units in communities throughout the province

B.C. to add 240 complex-care housing units in communities throughout the province
British Columbia is planning to add 240 new units to its complex-care housing program, providing homes for people with mental-health and addictions challenges that overlap with other serious conditions. The Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions says in a statement 200 of the units will be located in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kamloops, Kelowna, Nanaimo, New Westminster, Prince George, Sechelt, Surrey, Vancouver and Victoria.

B.C. to add 240 complex-care housing units in communities throughout the province