Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

PBO: More money needed for child-care plan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Feb, 2022 03:31 PM
  • PBO: More money needed for child-care plan

OTTAWA - The parliamentary budget officer says the federal government has not set aside enough money to build a national child-care system aimed at expanding spaces and cutting fees.

The Liberals' budget last year set aside $29.8 billion in new spending starting this fiscal year through to 2026 for the Canada-wide system by sending money to provinces and territories to cover costs.

The lower levels of government are expected to receive $27.2 billion in federal funding over that time, with another $2.5 billion set aside for Indigenous child care. 

Budget officer Yves Giroux's look at the child-care plan estimates that the $27 billion for provincial and territorial transfers isn't enough to meet expected demand.

While funding would subsidize nearly 500,000 spaces by 2026, Giroux says the funding gap means there will be nearly 182,000 fewer spots than needed to meet demand for the $10-a-day spaces.

The budget office expects demand for the spaces in licensed daycares to mirror what was seen in Quebec in the years after that province launched a provincially subsidized system.

Demand would be driven by more stay-at-home parents of young children jumping into the workforce, and incentivizing other parents to leave unlicensed care for subsidized spots.

Some demand could be met if unlicensed providers decide to make the switch to join provincial licensing rules, but Giroux said that would increase the overall cost of child care for governments.

In all, he expects the shortfall in federal funding to only amount to about $1 billion, but warns the gap will grow if it isn't addressed quickly.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Thursday took part in an announcement with Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson about how funds were affecting spaces and prices paid by parents in that province.

Trudeau said that the pandemic's effect on women in the labour force, when mothers left work to take care of young children as schools and daycares closed, helped drive the government's decision to invest more in child care than previously planned.

"It was really the impetus that allowed us to put forward a historic investment in the last budget, and to work so directly with so many provinces," Trudeau said.

The only province left to sign on to the child-care system is Ontario, which is in line to receive the biggest share of the funding pie.

The PBO estimated that the federal daycare funding would push share of the workforce looking for, or in a job up by 0.3 percentage points, boosting the country's output by 0.4 percentage points.

That growth would help pad federal coffers from new revenues with more people paying income taxes that Giroux estimates will total $1.5 billion over five years.

Federal spending on the income-tested Canada Child Benefit would also likely drop as family earnings rise by about $302 million over the same stretch, Giroux said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Disaster expert shares tips for flood recovery

Disaster expert shares tips for flood recovery
Caroline McDonald-Harker, a professor in the department of sociology and anthropology at Mount Royal University in Calgary, has studied the impacts of extensive flooding in southern Alberta in 2013 and the 2016 Fort McMurray wildfire.    

Disaster expert shares tips for flood recovery

StatCan: Economy added 154K jobs in November

StatCan: Economy added 154K jobs in November
Statistics Canada says the economy added 154,000 jobs in November as the labour market showed more signs it's returning to pre-pandemic levels. The unemployment rate fell to 6.0 per cent last month compared with 6.7 per cent in October.

StatCan: Economy added 154K jobs in November

NACI strongly advises boosters for those over 50

NACI strongly advises boosters for those over 50
The National Advisory Committee on Immunization has expanded its recommended eligibility for booster shots of COVID-19 vaccines in response to reports of waning protection against the virus. NACI now strongly recommends boosters for those over 50 and said all adults over the age of 18 may receive one as well. 

NACI strongly advises boosters for those over 50

Loblaw Financial wins court battle in tax case

Loblaw Financial wins court battle in tax case
In a 7-0 ruling today, the top court says Canadian provisions at issue in the case did not apply to the company, Glenhuron Bank Ltd., meaning tax on its income was not payable in Canada.

Loblaw Financial wins court battle in tax case

Eighty-six per cent of Commons witnesses spoke English in hybrid Parliament: Bloc

Eighty-six per cent of Commons witnesses spoke English in hybrid Parliament: Bloc
The Bloc Québécois says the issue is "very concerning" and has persuaded the board of internal economy to look into whether poor audio quality is leading to less interpretation into French, and from French into English.

Eighty-six per cent of Commons witnesses spoke English in hybrid Parliament: Bloc

Ng wraps up latest Team Canada visit to D.C.

Ng wraps up latest Team Canada visit to D.C.
Mary Ng led a multipartisan Team Canada mission to Capitol Hill for several days of meetings with U.S. lawmakers to talk about a number of lingering irritants.

Ng wraps up latest Team Canada visit to D.C.