Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

PBO says Canadian governments set to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 May, 2026 08:56 AM
  • PBO says Canadian governments set to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer, the federal budget watchdog said Wednesday.

That sum includes money from all levels of government. The federal government's contribution is expected to be $473 million.

The $1.066 billion total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver.

The parliamentary budget officer says that’s roughly in line with what previous host countries spent. Canada is co-hosting this year's tournament with the United States and Mexico.

In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup, with the money going toward resources for law enforcement agencies.

Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree said at the time that welcoming World Cup crowds will require a massive co-ordinated effort, and that the international soccer tournament is one of the biggest and most complicated sporting events Canada has ever hosted.

Ottawa previously said it would allocate up to $320 million for hosting the tournament.

More than a hundred matches are scheduled to take place across all three countries between June 11 and July 19.

Most of the money will go toward hosting costs in the two cities. Vancouver will host seven games and Toronto will host six.

"As of April 2026, the most recent municipal and provincial budgets had indicated that, including federal grants, the City of Toronto intended to spend a total of $380 million on its city-level hosting costs while the Province of British Columbia intended to spend a total of $578 million," the parliamentary budget officer said.

The PBO noted there may be changes to the expected costs for municipal and provincial governments because "updates to municipal and provincial spending plans may be announced in the coming weeks."

Picture Courtesy: Mandel Ngan/Pool Photo via AP

MORE National ARTICLES

Frank Hayden, Canadian researcher who ignited Special Olympics movement, dies at 96

Frank Hayden, Canadian researcher who ignited Special Olympics movement, dies at 96
For many Canadians who have an intellectual disability or know someone who does, Frank Hayden is a treasure.

Frank Hayden, Canadian researcher who ignited Special Olympics movement, dies at 96

U.S. says it's pausing long-standing military board with Canada

U.S. says it's pausing long-standing military board with Canada
The U.S. undersecretary of defence for policy said Monday that the United States is pausing a long-standing military board, claiming "Canada has failed to make credible progress on its defense commitments." 

U.S. says it's pausing long-standing military board with Canada

Canadian hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test

Canadian hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test
Laboratory testing has confirmed the presumptive positive case of the Andes strain of hantavirus reported in British Columbia

Canadian hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test

Former residence of Canada's consul general in New York is sold for US$8.05 million

Former residence of Canada's consul general in New York is sold for US$8.05 million
The former residence of Canada's consul general in New York has sold for US$8.05 million after nearly two years on the market. 

Former residence of Canada's consul general in New York is sold for US$8.05 million

Inflation rises to 2.8% in April thanks to higher gas prices: StatCan

Inflation rises to 2.8% in April thanks to higher gas prices: StatCan
Higher gas prices driven mainly by the war in Iran pushed the annual rate of inflation up to 2.8 per cent in April, Statistics Canada said Tuesday — the fastest pace of price hikes in almost two years.

Inflation rises to 2.8% in April thanks to higher gas prices: StatCan

Federal government advising Canadians not to travel to east DRC area hit by Ebola outbreak

Federal government advising Canadians not to travel to east DRC area hit by Ebola outbreak
The federal government is advising Canadians not to travel to the province hit by a rare type of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo. 

Federal government advising Canadians not to travel to east DRC area hit by Ebola outbreak

PrevNext