Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

PCs, Liberals Aim Attacks At NDP As Polls Put Them At Same Support As PCs

The Canadian Press, 22 May, 2018 12:04 PM
    TORONTO — Both the Progressive Conservatives and the Liberals set their sights on the NDP on Tuesday as new polls suggest the party is tied for the most support in the Ontario election.
     
     
    Premier Kathleen Wynne — whose Liberals have fallen to third place in recent polls — appeared to concede that it is not going as well as she might have hoped for her party, which has been in power for 15 years.
     
     
    "I'm not under any illusion that this is not a challenging election for us," she said during a campaign stop in Toronto.
     
     
    "I absolutely get that...It's a really, really important election for this province because it is an election about what our province is going to look like going forward."
     
     
    Two recent polls suggest that the NDP now has the most support in the election, along with the Progressive Conservatives.
     
     
    "It's pretty clear that people have decided Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals are not going to form government next time around," said NDP Leader Andrea Horwath. "On June 7 there will be a new premier in the premier's chair. The decision folks have to make at this point is: is that going to be Doug Ford or me?"
     
     
    Ford similarly framed the choice facing voters.
     
     
    "People are going to have a very clear, very clear choice," he said. "When it comes to June 7 they're either going to vote in a radical NDP...or they can vote for a Doug Ford PC government."
     
     
    The Liberals began the day by attacking what they call an "irrational" plan by the NDP to start decommissioning the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station this year. The long-term energy plan released by the Liberal government last year has Pickering operating until 2024, and they say shutting it down this year would put Ontario's energy supply and the production of medical isotopes at risk.
     
     
    Horwath said all parties agree the plant can't operate forever.
     
     
    "The difference is, we will begin the decommissioning process immediately, which will bring more jobs to the area — as opposed to the Liberal plan, which is to mothball that facility for 30 years and allow the next generation to figure out the decommissioning," she said. "We are listening to and paying attention to the experts that are going through that process right now on the current licence and when the closure happens we will tackle the decomissioning immediately."
     
     
    Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford used his main campaign event of the day to announce that a Tory government would keep Pickering open until 2024.
     
     
    The Tories also held a separate news conference with two candidates to accuse the New Democrats of having several "radical" candidates, including Sept. 11 conspiracy theorists and a woman who is against wearing a poppy on Remembrance Day.
     
     
    "Five NDP candidates...have radical and extreme views that do not reflect the people of Ontario," said long-time Tory legislator Lisa MacLeod. "I think it's important that we recognize that Andrea Horwath has, for too long, just shrugged off any transparency and accountability on some of these candidates."
     
     
    The Liberals are also continuing to hammer the NDP on their platform funding, after leader Andrea Horwath admitted over the weekend that an error would leave them with a deficit that's $1.4 billion larger than originally planned.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    WATCH: In Vancouver Angelina Jolie Urges Un To Renew Efforts To Stop Sexual Violence In War

    WATCH: In Vancouver Angelina Jolie Urges Un To Renew Efforts To Stop Sexual Violence In War
    The Academy Award-winning actress was addressing foreign dignitaries and military officials attending the two-day United Nations peacekeeping summit, where the role of women in preventing conflict figured prominently.

    WATCH: In Vancouver Angelina Jolie Urges Un To Renew Efforts To Stop Sexual Violence In War

    Vancouver Police Arrest Man Caught Breaking Into Home Under Construction

    Vancouver Police Arrest Man Caught Breaking Into Home Under Construction
    A 37-year-old man is in jail after police watched him allegedly break into a home under construction on Vancouver’s west side on Monday evening. The suspect was arrested as he removed building supplies from the home.

    Vancouver Police Arrest Man Caught Breaking Into Home Under Construction

    Police Escort Anti-Pipeline Protesters Away From Trudeau Media Event

    Police Escort Anti-Pipeline Protesters Away From Trudeau Media Event
    Hayley Zacks and 24-year-old Jake Hubley stood with signs protesting the pipeline before telling Prime Minister Justin Trudeau he can't fulfil his climate action promises if projects like Trans Mountain are approved.

    Police Escort Anti-Pipeline Protesters Away From Trudeau Media Event

    Organizers Announce Hiatus For 2018 Tall Tree Music Festival

    Organizers Announce Hiatus For 2018 Tall Tree Music Festival
    Tall Tree Music Festival co-founder and director Mike Hann blames the low Canadian dollar and an oversaturated concert market for the hiatus.

    Organizers Announce Hiatus For 2018 Tall Tree Music Festival

    Woman To Make Court Appearance After Stabbing At Motel In Nanaimo, B.C.

    NANAIMO, B.C. — A 44-year-old woman who allegedly stabbed a man at a motel has been arrested in Nanaimo, B.C.

    Woman To Make Court Appearance After Stabbing At Motel In Nanaimo, B.C.

    S&P Bond Rating Agency Hands B.C. Highest Mark, Confirming Healthy Economy

    S&P Bond Rating Agency Hands B.C. Highest Mark, Confirming Healthy Economy
    VICTORIA — British Columbia's finance minister is pointing to what she says is another confirmation of the province's healthy economy.

    S&P Bond Rating Agency Hands B.C. Highest Mark, Confirming Healthy Economy