Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Surrey Police Investigate ‘Targeted’ Sunday Shooting

    Surrey Police Investigate ‘Targeted’ Sunday Shooting
    RCMP responded to reports of shots fired Sunday afternoon at a Surrey home in the 7800 block of 138th street in East Newton. 

    Surrey Police Investigate ‘Targeted’ Sunday Shooting

    Hamilton, Ont. Chiropractor Charged With Alleged Sexual Assault Of Two Women

    Hamilton, Ont. Chiropractor Charged With Alleged Sexual Assault Of Two Women
    A Ontario chiropractor, already facing discipline with professional watchdogs, has been charged in connection with two alleged sexual assaults on his patients.

    Hamilton, Ont. Chiropractor Charged With Alleged Sexual Assault Of Two Women

    Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi Attacks Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s Toronto Plan

    Calgary's mayor is attacking Ontario Premier Doug Ford's plan to cut the number of Toronto city councillors and cancel votes for other municipal elections.

    Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi Attacks Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s Toronto Plan

    Feds Ramp Up Brainstorming On Handgun Crime Following Toronto Shooting

    Following the recent mass shooting in Toronto, the federal government is eyeing tighter restrictions on handguns — possibly by making certain firearms harder to buy and allowing municipalities to impose their own controls.  

    Feds Ramp Up Brainstorming On Handgun Crime Following Toronto Shooting

    Trans Mountain Pipeline Work To Resume In August: Kinder Morgan Canada Boss

    The head of Kinder Morgan Canada says work is to resume next month to prepare a route for the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

    Trans Mountain Pipeline Work To Resume In August: Kinder Morgan Canada Boss

    Family Feud Over $1.2 Million Chase The Ace Lottery Jackpot Lands In Court

    Family Feud Over $1.2 Million Chase The Ace Lottery Jackpot Lands In Court
    A family feud over a million-dollar lottery jackpot has landed in Nova Scotia Supreme Court, as a woman follows through on her claim that she never intended to split the Chase the Ace winnings.

    Family Feud Over $1.2 Million Chase The Ace Lottery Jackpot Lands In Court