Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Four-Year-Old Girl Eats 15 Pieces Of Edible Marijuana Product: Police

    Four-Year-Old Girl Eats 15 Pieces Of Edible Marijuana Product: Police
    HALIFAX — A four-year-old girl who ate 15 pieces of an edible marijuana product she thought was a chocolate bar has been released from a Halifax-area hospital.

    Four-Year-Old Girl Eats 15 Pieces Of Edible Marijuana Product: Police

    New Contract In Hard Rock Casino Strike, Walk Out Continues At Gateway Casinos

    New Contract In Hard Rock Casino Strike, Walk Out Continues At Gateway Casinos
    More than 400 employees of the Coquitlam casino walked out on May 11 to back demands for improved wages and hours of work.

    New Contract In Hard Rock Casino Strike, Walk Out Continues At Gateway Casinos

    Ten-Year-Old Girl, 18-Year-Old Woman Killed In Downtown Toronto Shooting, 13 Injured

    Ten-Year-Old Girl, 18-Year-Old Woman Killed In Downtown Toronto Shooting, 13 Injured
    TORONTO — A 10-year-old girl and an 18-year-old woman were killed in Toronto's vibrant Greektown when a man went on a shooting spree down one of the city's busiest streets, police said Monday as they tried to determine what prompted the attack.

    Ten-Year-Old Girl, 18-Year-Old Woman Killed In Downtown Toronto Shooting, 13 Injured

    Multiple People Shoot Outside Toronto Restaurant; Suspect Confirmed Dead

    Multiple People Shoot Outside Toronto Restaurant; Suspect Confirmed Dead
    The Victims Have Been Transported To Various Hospitals In Toronto, American News Network Cnn Reported. The Condition Of The Victims, However, Is Not Immediately Known. Police Spokesman Mark Pugash Said It Is Too Early To Say Whether The Shooting Is Linked To Terrorism.

    Multiple People Shoot Outside Toronto Restaurant; Suspect Confirmed Dead

    Youth Gang Violence: Havoc in the City

    Youth Gang Violence: Havoc in the City
    When speaking of gang violence, it is important to begin with the origin of the problem.

    Youth Gang Violence: Havoc in the City

    DARPAN 10 with HON. David Eby BC Attorney General 

    DARPAN 10 with HON. David Eby BC Attorney General 
    Our government has a budget that has the largest capital investment in affordable housing in BC’s history. 

    DARPAN 10 with HON. David Eby BC Attorney General