Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ontario Man Charged With Threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

    Ontario Man Charged With Threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
    A 60-year-old Ontario man has been charged with uttering threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

    Ontario Man Charged With Threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

    Ottawa Unveils $9M Fund To Help Black Youth Overcome 'Unique Challenges'

    Ottawa Unveils $9M Fund To Help Black Youth Overcome 'Unique Challenges'
    The Trudeau government unveiled a $9-million fund Friday that it says aims to help black youth fully and equally participate in Canadian society.

    Ottawa Unveils $9M Fund To Help Black Youth Overcome 'Unique Challenges'

    UK Defends Move To Refuse Right To Live, Work To Indian Professionals

    UK Defends Move To Refuse Right To Live, Work To Indian Professionals
    The UK government has defended its controversial decision to deny residency rights to hundreds of highly skilled professionals, including Indians, 

    UK Defends Move To Refuse Right To Live, Work To Indian Professionals

    Woman Who Saw Toronto Subway Rescue Says Men Who Leapt Into Action Are Heroes

    Woman Who Saw Toronto Subway Rescue Says Men Who Leapt Into Action Are Heroes
    Julie Caniglia said in an interview that a man on her eastbound train jumped down to the tracks Thursday afternoon and crossed over to the westbound platform to help the man.

    Woman Who Saw Toronto Subway Rescue Says Men Who Leapt Into Action Are Heroes

    Police Release Names Of Mother, Daughter Who Died At Ontario Resort

    Police Release Names Of Mother, Daughter Who Died At Ontario Resort
    Xia Zhen, 34, and Chloe Gong, 5, of Markham, Ont., were on vacation at Mountain Springs Resort just west of Collingwood, Ont., when tragedy struck on Tuesday evening.

    Police Release Names Of Mother, Daughter Who Died At Ontario Resort

    Supreme Court Rules Edmonton Man Who Killed Toddler Will Not Go Back To Jail

    Supreme Court Rules Edmonton Man Who Killed Toddler Will Not Go Back To Jail
    The high court has lowered Richard Suter's sentence to the 10 months he has already served. His 30-month driving ban was upheld.

    Supreme Court Rules Edmonton Man Who Killed Toddler Will Not Go Back To Jail