Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Lightning Sparks More Than 100 Wildfires In B.C., With Further Storms Expected

    The B.C. Wildfire Service says more than 100 new blazes started after lightning storms rolled across the province Wednesday.

    Lightning Sparks More Than 100 Wildfires In B.C., With Further Storms Expected

    B.C. Crown Says Polygamous Leader Took 15-Year-Old Girl Across Border For Sex

    B.C. Crown Says Polygamous Leader Took 15-Year-Old Girl Across Border For Sex
    VANCOUVER — A special prosecutor is urging British Columbia's Court of Appeal to overturn the acquittal of a polygamous leader who was accused of  taking a 15-year-old girl across the border for a sexual purpose.

    B.C. Crown Says Polygamous Leader Took 15-Year-Old Girl Across Border For Sex

    Police Dive Team Searches Alice Lake For Missing Man From Delta, B.C.

    Police Dive Team Searches Alice Lake For Missing Man From Delta, B.C.
    An RCMP underwater recovery team is searching a lake for a 20-year-old man who went missing while swimming with friends in Squamish, B.C.

    Police Dive Team Searches Alice Lake For Missing Man From Delta, B.C.

    Oregon Family Found Safe After Abandoning Their Car In Remote Northwest B.C.

    Oregon Family Found Safe After Abandoning Their Car In Remote Northwest B.C.
    DEASE LAKE, B.C. — Search and rescue teams in northwestern British Columbia say a family of four from Oregon has been found safe in a remote and rugged area just 250 kilometres south of the Yukon border.

    Oregon Family Found Safe After Abandoning Their Car In Remote Northwest B.C.

    Surrey Man Ranjit Sangha Arrested For 2017 Murder Of Joseph Jandrew In Vancouver

    Surrey Man Ranjit Sangha Arrested For 2017 Murder Of Joseph Jandrew In Vancouver
    The 33-year-old was critically injured in a stabbing in Vancouver on Oct. 12 and died later in hospital.

    Surrey Man Ranjit Sangha Arrested For 2017 Murder Of Joseph Jandrew In Vancouver

    Police Search For Family From Oregon After Car Found Abandoned In Dease Lake, BC

    Police Search For Family From Oregon After Car Found Abandoned In Dease Lake, BC
    DEASE LAKE, B.C. — Police in British Columbia say they are searching for a couple and their two young children after a car with Oregon licence plates was found near a highway in the community of Dease Lake.

    Police Search For Family From Oregon After Car Found Abandoned In Dease Lake, BC