Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Metro Vancouver Homicide Detectives Confirm Double Slaying In Surrey, B.C.

    Metro Vancouver Homicide Detectives Confirm Double Slaying In Surrey, B.C.
    Police confirm two people have been found dead in a rural area of Surrey, B.C.

    Metro Vancouver Homicide Detectives Confirm Double Slaying In Surrey, B.C.

    'Meant Nothing To You:' Teen Who Helped In Fatal Beating, Shared Video Sentenced

    'Meant Nothing To You:' Teen Who Helped In Fatal Beating, Shared Video Sentenced
    A teenager who helped attack a young Manitoba woman and shared the footage of her bloody death has been sentenced to just over three years in jail.

    'Meant Nothing To You:' Teen Who Helped In Fatal Beating, Shared Video Sentenced

    Emergency Crews Race To Serious Bus Crash On Highway 401, Multiple Injuries Reported

    Emergency Crews Race To Serious Bus Crash On Highway 401, Multiple Injuries Reported
    PRESCOTT, Ont. — Emergency crews are responding to the scene of a collision in eastern Ontario involving multiple people.

    Emergency Crews Race To Serious Bus Crash On Highway 401, Multiple Injuries Reported

    More Cougar Encounters Expected As Houses Replace Wilderness: Officer

    PORT COQUITLAM, B.C. — A British Columbia conservation officer says there will be more human-wildlife conflict as real estate development continues to encroach on wilderness areas.

    More Cougar Encounters Expected As Houses Replace Wilderness: Officer

    My Childhood Was Stolen: Some Of Bertrand Charest's Victims Speak Out About Sexual Abuse

    My Childhood Was Stolen: Some Of Bertrand Charest's Victims Speak Out About Sexual Abuse
    MONTREAL — Four of the women sexually assaulted by ex-national ski coach Bertrand Charest when they were adolescents say he robbed them of much of their childhood and turned their dreams into a nightmare.

    My Childhood Was Stolen: Some Of Bertrand Charest's Victims Speak Out About Sexual Abuse

    Toronto To Replace Impromptu Van Attack Memorials With Permanent Display

    TORONTO — Thousands of cards, photos and flowers dedicated to the victims of a deadly van attack were dismantled by city staff at an event in Toronto on Sunday, to be replaced with a permanent memorial.

    Toronto To Replace Impromptu Van Attack Memorials With Permanent Display