Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Vancouver Rules For Short-Term Rentals To Ease City's Vacancy Rate: Mayor

    Vancouver Rules For Short-Term Rentals To Ease City's Vacancy Rate: Mayor
    VANCOUVER — The city of Vancouver is moving to legalize short-term rental accommodation like Airbnb but operators will only be able to advertise their principal residence.

    Vancouver Rules For Short-Term Rentals To Ease City's Vacancy Rate: Mayor

    It'll Take Months To Distribute Over $8M Raised For Humboldt Broncos: GoFundMe says

    It'll Take Months To Distribute Over $8M Raised For Humboldt Broncos: GoFundMe says
    It will take several months to distribute the more than $8 million raised so far for the victims of a fatal bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos, says the platform hosting the online crowdfunding campaign — the largest ever in Canada.

    It'll Take Months To Distribute Over $8M Raised For Humboldt Broncos: GoFundMe says

    Daniel Jean, National Security Adviser At Centre Of Furor Over Pm's India Trip Retiring Soon

    Daniel Jean, National Security Adviser At Centre Of Furor Over Pm's India Trip Retiring Soon
    Daniel Jean notified the government in January — well before the furor erupted — of his intention to retire, said one source familiar with the matter. Another insider echoed the notion that Jean's plan to leave predates the current controversy.

    Daniel Jean, National Security Adviser At Centre Of Furor Over Pm's India Trip Retiring Soon

    Nova Scotia Police Chief To Stand Trial On Sex Charges Involving Girl, 17

    Nova Scotia Police Chief To Stand Trial On Sex Charges Involving Girl, 17
    BRIDGEWATER, N.S. — A Nova Scotia police chief accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl has been committed to stand trial in Nova Scotia Supreme Court.

    Nova Scotia Police Chief To Stand Trial On Sex Charges Involving Girl, 17

    Trailer Pulled From Family Flick Screenings In Langley, B.C. After Dad Complains

    Trailer Pulled From Family Flick Screenings In Langley, B.C. After Dad Complains
    LANGLEY, B.C. — A father is calling on theatres to ensure that family-friendly movies are not spoiled before they start after an uncomfortable outing with his daughter prompted Cineplex to pull a trailer from certain screenings in British Columbia.

    Trailer Pulled From Family Flick Screenings In Langley, B.C. After Dad Complains

    Task Force To Review Rental Housing Policies, Address Affordability In B.C.

    Task Force To Review Rental Housing Policies, Address Affordability In B.C.
    VICTORIA — A task force has been appointed to scrutinize British Columbia's rental housing regulations and come up with solutions to address affordability.

    Task Force To Review Rental Housing Policies, Address Affordability In B.C.