Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Search Continues For Accomplished B.C. Climber Missing In Alaskan Range

    Search Continues For Accomplished B.C. Climber Missing In Alaskan Range
    Marc-Andre Leclerc, 24, of Squamish, B.C., and his climbing partner Ryan Johnson, 34, of Juneau, Alaska, have been missing for nearly a week.

    Search Continues For Accomplished B.C. Climber Missing In Alaskan Range

    Vancouver Police Say Mom Accused Of Parental Abduction May Have Dyed Boy's Hair

    Vancouver Police Say Mom Accused Of Parental Abduction May Have Dyed Boy's Hair
    Police say Shawana Chaudhary, also known as Shawna, could also have changed her own appearance and may be using an old legal name.

    Vancouver Police Say Mom Accused Of Parental Abduction May Have Dyed Boy's Hair

    Richmond RCMP Investigating ‘Suspicious' Death Of Man Pulled From Fraser River

    Richmond RCMP Investigating ‘Suspicious' Death Of Man Pulled From Fraser River
    Mounties in Richmond, B.C., are investigating the suspicious death of a man whose body was pulled from the water near Steveston Harbour this weekend.

    Richmond RCMP Investigating ‘Suspicious' Death Of Man Pulled From Fraser River

    Missing 25-Yr-Old Vancouver Man Saeid Mirzaei Katik Lahijani Possibly Hiking Near Grouse Mountain

    Missing 25-Yr-Old Vancouver Man Saeid Mirzaei Katik Lahijani Possibly Hiking Near Grouse Mountain
    The Vancouver Police are requesting the public’s assistance in locating missing 25-year-old Saeid Mirzaei Katik Lahijani who was last in contact with family shortly after 5pm yesterday.

    Missing 25-Yr-Old Vancouver Man Saeid Mirzaei Katik Lahijani Possibly Hiking Near Grouse Mountain

    ICBC Spends $800,000 In Damage Claims For Ferrari That Crashed Into Pole

    ICBC Spends $800,000 In Damage Claims For Ferrari That Crashed Into Pole
    According to documents filed in B.C. Supreme Court, the plaintiff accidentally drove the 1990 Ferrari F40 into a utility pole on Sept. 9, 2012, leaving it badly damaged.

    ICBC Spends $800,000 In Damage Claims For Ferrari That Crashed Into Pole

    ‘It's Really Frustrating:' Sikh Canadians Dismayed By Extremism Allegations

    ‘It's Really Frustrating:' Sikh Canadians Dismayed By Extremism Allegations
    I almost feel like this obsession with Sikhs shows that India is almost threatened by Sikhs in the diaspora

    ‘It's Really Frustrating:' Sikh Canadians Dismayed By Extremism Allegations