Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Calgary Radio Host Accuses Hedley Frontman Of Sexual Misconduct

    Calgary Radio Host Accuses Hedley Frontman Of Sexual Misconduct
    A radio host in Calgary has come forward with a new sexual misconduct allegation against the frontman of the Canadian pop-rock group Hedley.

    Calgary Radio Host Accuses Hedley Frontman Of Sexual Misconduct

    Liberals Block Tory Effort To Call National Security Adviser Daniel Jean To Testify On Jaspal Atwal

    Liberal MPs on the House of Commons national security committee have thwarted a Conservative bid to summon the government's national security adviser over the Jaspal Atwal affair.

    Liberals Block Tory Effort To Call National Security Adviser Daniel Jean To Testify On Jaspal Atwal

    Surrey Man Marc Nijjer Charged With With Assault Of 18-Year-Old Syrian Immigrant

    Surrey Man Marc Nijjer Charged With With Assault Of 18-Year-Old Syrian Immigrant
    Charges have been laid against one man after he allegedly assaulted a young man from Syria who was new to Canada.

    Surrey Man Marc Nijjer Charged With With Assault Of 18-Year-Old Syrian Immigrant

    Woman Suffers From Burns After Cellphone Caught Fire In An Air Canada Plane

    Woman Suffers From Burns After Cellphone Caught Fire In An Air Canada Plane
    Flight AC101 To Vancouver Delayed By Two Hours Following Disruption

    Woman Suffers From Burns After Cellphone Caught Fire In An Air Canada Plane

    Conservative Party Puts Off Khalistan And United India Motion After 'Racism' Uproar

    Conservative Party Puts Off Khalistan And United India Motion After 'Racism' Uproar
    Alberta MP Deepak Obhrai had emailed on Wednesday that the following motion was to be debated in Parliament on Thursday.

    Conservative Party Puts Off Khalistan And United India Motion After 'Racism' Uproar

    Federal Budget On Same Page As B.C. On Issues Of Equity, Reconciliation, Opioids

    Federal Budget On Same Page As B.C. On Issues Of Equity, Reconciliation, Opioids
    VICTORIA — British Columbia's finance minister says she's pleased with the direction of the federal government's budget, but concerned with the slow pace of some of its initiatives.

    Federal Budget On Same Page As B.C. On Issues Of Equity, Reconciliation, Opioids