Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. To Allow Marijuana Use In Public, But It Won't Be Sold In Liquor Stores

    B.C. To Allow Marijuana Use In Public, But It Won't Be Sold In Liquor Stores
    VICTORIA — Pot and liquor sales won't mix in British Columbia, but adults will be allowed to toke in some public spaces once marijuana is legalized later this year.

    B.C. To Allow Marijuana Use In Public, But It Won't Be Sold In Liquor Stores

    Devon Paul Charged In Last July’s Incident Of Forcible Confinement In Surrey

    Devon Paul Charged In Last July’s Incident Of Forcible Confinement In Surrey
    One man has now been charged after a July 2017 incident where he allegedly held a woman against her will and threatened her with a weapon in Newton.

    Devon Paul Charged In Last July’s Incident Of Forcible Confinement In Surrey

    Langley Woman Wakes To Find Man In Her Walnut Grove Home

    Langley Woman Wakes To Find Man In Her Walnut Grove Home
    Police responded to a break-in to a residence in the Walnut Grove area in the early morning hours of February 1st.

    Langley Woman Wakes To Find Man In Her Walnut Grove Home

    4 In 10 Young Canadians Have Sent A Sext, 6 In 10 Have Received One

    4 In 10 Young Canadians Have Sent A Sext, 6 In 10 Have Received One
    About four in 10 young Canadians have sent a sext and more than six in 10 have received one, suggests a new report, which also puts a spotlight on the unauthorized sharing of sexual photographs among teens.

    4 In 10 Young Canadians Have Sent A Sext, 6 In 10 Have Received One

    Nude Photos Of Ex-NHL Player Mike Zigomanis Not 'Shocking,' Appeal Court Rules

    Nude Photos Of Ex-NHL Player Mike Zigomanis Not 'Shocking,' Appeal Court Rules
    former Toronto Maple Leafs hockey player who lost a promotional gig after nude pictures of himself surfaced on the internet had his breach-of-contract award upheld on Tuesday.

    Nude Photos Of Ex-NHL Player Mike Zigomanis Not 'Shocking,' Appeal Court Rules

    'Sound of Music' Not So Sweet: Man Charged After Concert-Goer Punched After Show

    'Sound of Music' Not So Sweet: Man Charged After Concert-Goer Punched After Show
    Police say a 63-year-old man was being picked up after the show at the Centennial Concert Hall on Jan. 6 and was trying to get into the back of an SUV.

    'Sound of Music' Not So Sweet: Man Charged After Concert-Goer Punched After Show