Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    New BC App Alerts Bystanders Trained In CPR To Nearby Cardiac Arrests

    New BC App Alerts Bystanders Trained In CPR To Nearby Cardiac Arrests
    B.C. has launched the first provincewide smartphone app aimed at turning bystanders into potential lifesavers of heart attack victims.

    New BC App Alerts Bystanders Trained In CPR To Nearby Cardiac Arrests

    Shooting At Chilliwack Home, Believed To Be Targeted, Kills 1 Man

    Shooting At Chilliwack Home, Believed To Be Targeted, Kills 1 Man
      Police Says 28-year-old Was Found With Gunshot Wounds And Later Died Hospital

    Shooting At Chilliwack Home, Believed To Be Targeted, Kills 1 Man

    Grande Prairie Man, 34, Charged After Teenage Boys Lured Over Social Media

    Grande Prairie Man, 34, Charged After Teenage Boys Lured Over Social Media
    Police say an Alberta man accused of posing as a teenage girl to lure teenage boys on social media has also lived in Kelowna.

    Grande Prairie Man, 34, Charged After Teenage Boys Lured Over Social Media

    Man In Stable Condition After Being Shot In Head At Quebec Courthouse

    Man In Stable Condition After Being Shot In Head At Quebec Courthouse
    MANIWAKI, Que. — An 18-year-old man was in stable condition on Thursday after he was shot in the head following an altercation with a special constable at a courthouse in Maniwaki, Que.

    Man In Stable Condition After Being Shot In Head At Quebec Courthouse

    'That Pipeline Is Going To Get Built:' PM Dismisses B.C.'s Trans Mountain Move

    'That Pipeline Is Going To Get Built:' PM Dismisses B.C.'s Trans Mountain Move
    EDMONTON — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline expansion will happen despite British Columbia's latest attempt to hinder the project.

    'That Pipeline Is Going To Get Built:' PM Dismisses B.C.'s Trans Mountain Move

    Justin Trudeau Holds Town Hall Meeting In Winnipeg, Faces Questions About Immigration

    Justin Trudeau Holds Town Hall Meeting In Winnipeg, Faces Questions About Immigration
    Trudeau was asked by some people whether he would boost the number of immigrants accepted into Canada every year.

    Justin Trudeau Holds Town Hall Meeting In Winnipeg, Faces Questions About Immigration