Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Man Begins Dog Sled Journey Across Canada: 'We're Going To Face Some Adversities'

    Man Begins Dog Sled Journey Across Canada: 'We're Going To Face Some Adversities'
    A New Brunswick man left northern Manitoba Monday on a highly unlikely journey home — a 3,000-kilometre trek by dog sled.

    Man Begins Dog Sled Journey Across Canada: 'We're Going To Face Some Adversities'

    Man Grabbed Boy By Throat In Kingston, Ont., Road Rage Incident, Police Allege

    KINGSTON, Ont. — A 46-year-old man is facing charges after allegedly attacking a child in a road rage incident in eastern Ontario.

    Man Grabbed Boy By Throat In Kingston, Ont., Road Rage Incident, Police Allege

    Saskatchewan Rush Fan Dressed As Hulk Banned From Calgary Lacrosse Game

    Saskatchewan Rush Fan Dressed As Hulk Banned From Calgary Lacrosse Game
    WARMAN, Sask. — A man who dresses up as the Incredible Hulk at Saskatchewan Rush lacrosse games says he's been banned from this weekend's game in Calgary against the Roughnecks.

    Saskatchewan Rush Fan Dressed As Hulk Banned From Calgary Lacrosse Game

    Man Faces 48 Charges In String Of Random Toronto Shootings, Police Say

    Man Faces 48 Charges In String Of Random Toronto Shootings, Police Say
    TORONTO — A 20-year-old man is facing dozens of charges, including seven counts of attempted murder, in what police describe as a string of unprovoked, random shootings in Toronto that narrowly missed being fatal.

    Man Faces 48 Charges In String Of Random Toronto Shootings, Police Say

    Daughter Of Winnipeg Couple Killed In Jamaica Faces Hurdles Bringing Them Home

    Daughter Of Winnipeg Couple Killed In Jamaica Faces Hurdles Bringing Them Home
    WINNIPEG — The daughter of a Winnipeg couple killed in Jamaica says she is facing several challenges as she works to bring their bodies back to Canada.

    Daughter Of Winnipeg Couple Killed In Jamaica Faces Hurdles Bringing Them Home

    Fire Doused After Tanker Truck And Rail Car Collide In Port Coquitlam, B.C.

    Fire Doused After Tanker Truck And Rail Car Collide In Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    PORT COQUITLAM, B.C. — A spectacular fire, fuelled by ethanol, has been allowed to burn out in Port Coquitlam, B.C.

    Fire Doused After Tanker Truck And Rail Car Collide In Port Coquitlam, B.C.