Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Some Canadian Media Organizations Ready To Cope With Facebook's Changes To Feeds

    Some Canadian Media Organizations Ready To Cope With Facebook's Changes To Feeds
    Some members of Canada's media industry say they expect to be able to weather the potential setback created by the latest change to Facebook's content sharing priorities.

    Some Canadian Media Organizations Ready To Cope With Facebook's Changes To Feeds

    First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.

    First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.
    The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 20-year-old Michael Bonin's body was found on a rural forest service road north of Hope on April 20, 2017.

    First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.

    Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting

    Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting
    A 15-year-old from Coquitlam, B.C., who was driving through the area when the shots were fired, was also seriously injured and taken to hospital.

    Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting

    Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed

    Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed
    A Toronto police investigation has concluded that an incident reported by an 11-year-old girl who claimed her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man as she walked to school did not happen.

    Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed

    Global News Journalist Files $900k Wrongful Arrest Suit Against Hamilton Police

    Global News Journalist Files $900k Wrongful Arrest Suit Against Hamilton Police
    A Global News journalist who was briefly arrested while covering a fatal crash last year has filed a lawsuit against Hamilton police, alleging an officer used excessive force in an effort to prevent him from filming.

    Global News Journalist Files $900k Wrongful Arrest Suit Against Hamilton Police

    Special Avalanche Warning Issued For B.C. Mountains Toward Alberta Border

    REVELSTOKE, B.C. — A special avalanche warning has been issued for recreational backcountry users in mountains stretching through south and central British Columbia.

    Special Avalanche Warning Issued For B.C. Mountains Toward Alberta Border