Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Elderly Ontario Woman Seeks Husband; Both Die In Bitter Cold: Police

    Elderly Ontario Woman Seeks Husband; Both Die In Bitter Cold: Police
    EXETER, Ont. — An elderly woman who went to check on her husband on their southwestern Ontario property died outdoors from extreme cold this week, while her spouse was found dead after a medical episode.

    Elderly Ontario Woman Seeks Husband; Both Die In Bitter Cold: Police

    17-Year-Old Girl's US Dream Comes True After Sushma Swaraj Intervenes

    The visa was confirmed yesterday after the intervention of External Affair Minister, a Rajasthan government release said.

    17-Year-Old Girl's US Dream Comes True After Sushma Swaraj Intervenes

    Two Local Men Charged For Armed Robberies In Langley

    Two Local Men Charged For Armed Robberies In Langley
    Two men have been charged in relation to three armed robberies in Langley in the month of December.

    Two Local Men Charged For Armed Robberies In Langley

    Muslim Group Asks For Jan. 29 Day Of Remembrance For 2017 Mosque Shooting

    Muslim Group Asks For Jan. 29 Day Of Remembrance For 2017 Mosque Shooting
    One of Canada's most prominent Muslim groups is asking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to designate the anniversary of the 2017 Quebec City mosque shooting as an official day of remembrance.

    Muslim Group Asks For Jan. 29 Day Of Remembrance For 2017 Mosque Shooting

    College Suspends Labrador Obstetrician After Two Baby Deaths In 2014

    College Suspends Labrador Obstetrician After Two Baby Deaths In 2014
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A Labrador obstetrician has been ordered to serve a three-month suspension and apologize after the deaths of two babies in 2014.

    College Suspends Labrador Obstetrician After Two Baby Deaths In 2014

    Franchisees' Cuts To Paid Breaks And Benefits Is 'Reckless,' Says Tim Hortons

    Franchisees' Cuts To Paid Breaks And Benefits Is 'Reckless,' Says Tim Hortons
    TORONTO — Tim Hortons' Canadian headquarters has waded into a brewing controversy stemming from this week's minimum wage hike in Ontario, calling the elimination of paid breaks and benefits for employees at certain locations "reckless".

    Franchisees' Cuts To Paid Breaks And Benefits Is 'Reckless,' Says Tim Hortons