Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Woman Brain Injured In Crash As A Baby Gets Almost $1.2 Million In Damages

    B.C. Woman Brain Injured In Crash As A Baby Gets Almost $1.2 Million In Damages
    VANCOUVER — A woman has been awarded almost $1.2 million by the B.C. Supreme Court after her skull was fractured 17 years ago in a pedestrian crash when she was a baby.

    B.C. Woman Brain Injured In Crash As A Baby Gets Almost $1.2 Million In Damages

    Canadian Grocers Make $3m Per Year From Penny-Rounding: UBC Study

    Canadian Grocers Make $3m Per Year From Penny-Rounding: UBC Study
    VANCOUVER — Grocery stores across the country are cashing in on the demise of the penny, according to a young researcher at the University of British Columbia.

    Canadian Grocers Make $3m Per Year From Penny-Rounding: UBC Study

    Warning Issued After Violent East Vancouver Sex Assault

    Warning Issued After Violent East Vancouver Sex Assault
    The assault was reported to police on December 14th. A woman in her 20s was walking on Matheson Crescent towards SE Marine Drive when she was grabbed from behind by an unknown man with a knife.

    Warning Issued After Violent East Vancouver Sex Assault

    B.C. Ends Grizzly Bear Hunt, Calls It 'No Longer Socially Acceptable'

    B.C. Ends Grizzly Bear Hunt, Calls It 'No Longer Socially Acceptable'
    The B.C. government says public consultations have made it clear that killing grizzlies is no longer socially acceptable.

    B.C. Ends Grizzly Bear Hunt, Calls It 'No Longer Socially Acceptable'

    Surrey RCMP Releases Its 10 Most Wanted List For The Holidays

    Surrey RCMP Releases Its 10 Most Wanted List For The Holidays
    Surrey RCMP is asking for the public’s help with any information that will lead to the apprehension of our top ten most wanted prolific offenders ahead of the holiday season.

    Surrey RCMP Releases Its 10 Most Wanted List For The Holidays

    Site C Was Tough Decision, Now It's Time To Make Best Use Of Project: Minister

    Site C Was Tough Decision, Now It's Time To Make Best Use Of Project: Minister
    VICTORIA — He was one of staunchest critics of the Site C dam, but George Heyman found himself in the uncomfortable position this week of supporting a plan to complete the $10.7 billion megaproject.

    Site C Was Tough Decision, Now It's Time To Make Best Use Of Project: Minister