Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    World At 'Pivot Point,' Needs To Embrace Openness Free Trade, PM Trudeau Says

    The world is at a "pivot point" and will fail unless countries embrace free trade and elevate their citizens who have been left behind by globalization, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau warned Wednesday.

    World At 'Pivot Point,' Needs To Embrace Openness Free Trade, PM Trudeau Says

    Wrestler Bret Hart Grappling With Plastic Surgeon Over Hand Surgery

    Bret Hart has won numerous bouts over his professional wrestling career but now he's entering the legal ring in a lawsuit against a Calgary plastic surgeon.

    Wrestler Bret Hart Grappling With Plastic Surgeon Over Hand Surgery

    Argument On Social Media Leads To Fight With Weapons In Kingston, Ont.: Police

    Two eastern Ontario teens are facing charges after a social media argument escalated into a fight with weapons on a front yard.

    Argument On Social Media Leads To Fight With Weapons In Kingston, Ont.: Police

    Man Accused Of Flashing Woman In St. Thomas, Ont., Park Wore A Miniskirt: Police

    Man Accused Of Flashing Woman In St. Thomas, Ont., Park Wore A Miniskirt: Police
    ST. THOMAS, Ont. — Police say a man who was wearing a purple sweater and plaid miniskirt is accused of flashing a woman in a southwestern Ontario park.

    Man Accused Of Flashing Woman In St. Thomas, Ont., Park Wore A Miniskirt: Police

    Rohinie Bisesar, Accused In Fatal Toronto Shoppers Drug Mart Stabbing, Declared Unfit To Stand Trial

    Rohinie Bisesar, Accused In Fatal Toronto Shoppers Drug Mart Stabbing, Declared Unfit To Stand Trial
    41-Year-Old Is Charged With 1st-Degree Murder Suffers From Schizophrenia, According To Forensic Psychiatrist

    Rohinie Bisesar, Accused In Fatal Toronto Shoppers Drug Mart Stabbing, Declared Unfit To Stand Trial

    B.C. Court Orders Protesters To Stop Blocking Homeless Housing Project

    B.C. Court Orders Protesters To Stop Blocking Homeless Housing Project
    BC Housing and the City of Vancouver have been granted an injunction to proceed with the project, which will create 78 living units tailored for people aged 45 and over.

    B.C. Court Orders Protesters To Stop Blocking Homeless Housing Project