Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

People with private drug coverage more likely to stick to prescriptions: StatCan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jan, 2024 12:55 PM
  • People with private drug coverage more likely to stick to prescriptions: StatCan

A new Statistics Canada study confirms that financial limitations are keeping people without private or employer-sponsored drug coverage from following through with their prescriptions.

It's true for both those who have no coverage at all but also people who have some coverage through provincial or existing federal prescription programs.

The results of the study come as the New Democrats and the government negotiate the broad principles that will shape a federal pharmacare program.

The government is expected to enshrine those principles in legislation as part of a political pact with the NDP to secure support on key votes.

Statistics Canada says 79 per cent of Canadians already have some form of coverage for prescription medications, though the level of coverage can vary significantly depending on what kind of plan people have access to.

The New Democrats have said they want the government to commit to a single-payer, universal program with the latest deadline to table the legislation now scheduled for March.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Senior assaulted in Richmond

Senior assaulted in Richmond
Richmond R-C-M-P are investigating after a 67-year-old woman was assaulted by two suspects. Police say her home was also ransacked in last month's attack.

Senior assaulted in Richmond

Abbotsford police release video of vandalism involving axes, swords, and baseball bats

Abbotsford police release video of vandalism involving axes, swords, and baseball bats
Abbotsford police have released video showing more than 10 people using axes, swords and baseball bats to destroy multiple cars at a home in the city. Video released by the department depicts the incident, which happened around 1 A-M on Saturday.

Abbotsford police release video of vandalism involving axes, swords, and baseball bats

Charges laid in New Westminster kidnapping case

Charges laid in New Westminster kidnapping case
A 40-year-old man from Kamloops has been charged with kidnapping, forcible confinement, assault with a weapon and use of an imitation firearm, while a 42-year-old man from Vernon faces the same charges, except assault.  

Charges laid in New Westminster kidnapping case

Bear Creek park morning shooting lands one in hospital

Bear Creek park morning shooting lands one in hospital
On Friday, at 8:06 a.m., police responded to the report of a shooting in a residential driveway located in the 8100-block of 144A Street. Police found an adult male suffering from apparent gun shot wounds and provided medical assistance until Emergency Health Services arrived on scene.

Bear Creek park morning shooting lands one in hospital

B.C. communities brace for weekend rain as floods forecast in southern Interior

B.C. communities brace for weekend rain as floods forecast in southern Interior
Grand Forks, not far from the Canada-U.S. border, is one of many communities under threat in B.C.'s southern and central Interior. A week of record temperatures followed by rain have combined to create conditions ripe for flooding.

B.C. communities brace for weekend rain as floods forecast in southern Interior

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon
Mounties in Nanaimo are asking for the public's help in identifying two people accused of breaking into a local hair salon. They say police responded to a glass break alarm at Cosmo Prof on April 25th and found its door had been "smashed out."

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon