Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Permanent Memorial Site At Broncos Crash Site Sought, But No Decision Yet

The Canadian Press, 20 Jul, 2018 02:01 PM
  • Permanent Memorial Site At Broncos Crash Site Sought, But No Decision Yet
REGINA — A community foundation set up after the fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash is hoping for a permanent memorial at the site.
 
 
Team spokesman Grant Bastedo says no decision has been made on a potential roadside marker.
 
 
He says members of the Humboldt Strong Community Foundation are to meet in the fall to discuss the idea, although no date has been set.
 
 
Sixteen people died on April 6 when the Broncos junior hockey team bus and a tractor-trailer unit collided at a rural Saskatchewan intersection.
 
 
 
 
Another 13 people were injured in the collision.
 
 
RCMP have laid 29 criminal charges against the tractor-trailer's driver.
 
 
The Saskatchewan government allows memorial markers at highway right-of-ways for grieving individuals or families.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian Initiative Fuelled By Terry Fox's Dream May Be Only Hope For Young

Canadian Initiative Fuelled By Terry Fox's Dream May Be Only Hope For Young
VANCOUVER — Seeing children suffering with cancer when he was being treated himself broke Terry Fox's heart and inspired his Marathon of Hope.

Canadian Initiative Fuelled By Terry Fox's Dream May Be Only Hope For Young

U.S. Coast Guard Calls Off Search For Missing Calgary Man Off Florida Coast

U.S. Coast Guard Calls Off Search For Missing Calgary Man Off Florida Coast
CALGARY — The wife of a missing Calgary man whose boat was recovered off the coast of Florida says he may have been swept away while trying to rescue the family dog.

U.S. Coast Guard Calls Off Search For Missing Calgary Man Off Florida Coast

Ottawa-Based Priest From Quebec Suspended In Wake Of Sex-Abuse Lawsuit

An Ottawa-based priest has been suspended after being named in a $2-million sex-abuse lawsuit filed on behalf of students who attended a Catholic boarding school in Quebec's Eastern Townships.

Ottawa-Based Priest From Quebec Suspended In Wake Of Sex-Abuse Lawsuit

Maryam Monsef Still Waiting On Citizenship Paperwork After Birthplace Revelation

Maryam Monsef Still Waiting On Citizenship Paperwork After Birthplace Revelation
OTTAWA — More than a year after Maryam Monsef revealed she was not actually born in Afghanistan, as she had previously believed, the Liberal cabinet minister is still waiting for the government to update her documents.

Maryam Monsef Still Waiting On Citizenship Paperwork After Birthplace Revelation

Canada Adds $35M To Help Bangladesh Women And Girls Amid Rohingya Crisis

Canada Adds $35M To Help Bangladesh Women And Girls Amid Rohingya Crisis
OTTAWA — Canada will spend $35 million over five years to help Bangladesh address the needs of women and girls as the country deals with a massive influx of Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar.

Canada Adds $35M To Help Bangladesh Women And Girls Amid Rohingya Crisis

Five Thing To Know About What's In The New National Housing Strategy

Five Thing To Know About What's In The New National Housing Strategy
OTTAWA — There's a lot of numbers and promises in the new national housing strategy. Here are five key things to know about the strategy.

Five Thing To Know About What's In The New National Housing Strategy