Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2023 12:32 PM
  • Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Ottawa introduced a new three-year pilot program Tuesday that would incentivize employers to follow worker-protection rules by making it easier for them to hire temporary foreign workers. 

Under the "recognized employer pilot" program, companies with a good track record would only need to prove that they require temporary foreign workers every three years, instead of every 18 months. 

The employer's trusted status would also be flagged to potential workers in the government's job bank.

The new pilot will focus on "the protections and support that improve workplace conditions for temporary foreign workers," Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault said at a press conference in the Southwestern Ontario town of Ruthven on Tuesday. 

The temporary foreign worker program is designed to attract workers from abroad to fill short-term labour market gaps in cases where no Canadians or permanent residents are available. 

Employers involved in the pilot program will need to go through a more rigorous upfront assessment, Boissonnault said. 

Agricultural companies will be able to apply to be part of the pilot in September, and all other employers will be eligible in January. 

The pilot will simplify the hiring process by lifting the administrative burden of having to resubmit their paperwork every 18 months, said Jennifer Wright, executive director of the Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council.

"The government of Canada is addressing an important impediment to addressing labour shortages that have harmed the competitiveness of Canada's agriculture sector," she said in a statement Tuesday. 

The government set aside $29.3 million over three years for the program in its 2022 federal budget, referring to it at the time as the "trusted employer model."

Allegations of abuse have plagued the temporary foreign worker program for years.

Boissonnault said language barriers, social and physical isolation and a lack of awareness about their rights all make workers more vulnerable to abuse, and the government has attempted to curb the problems with more oversight.

Between April 2022 and March 2023, more than 2,100 inspections revealed 117 employers were found to be "out of compliance." Of those, 94 employers were fined a total of $1.5 million, 23 received warnings and six were banned from the program for five years. 

"The system is working, keeping workers safe," Boissonnault said. 

He said his office has launched a tip line for workers and advocates who witness wrongdoing, which is accessible in 200 languages.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure
Peace Arch Provincial Park, the nine-hectare park that straddles the B.C.-Washington state border south of Vancouver, reopened Monday after being closed more than two years ago amid pandemic-related border closures.

B.C. park reopens after pandemic closure

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open
Shaw's ownership of Freedom Mobile has widely been seen as the main obstacle to the deal's approval, and Montreal-based Videotron earlier this year agreed to buy it for $2.85 billion. But Champagne said before he would approve the Videotron deal, he requires additional concessions.  

Feds reject Rogers-Shaw deal, leave door open

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence
The central bank is expected to raise its key interest rate by half or three quarters of a percentage point on Wednesday in an effort to clamp down on decades-high inflation, making it the sixth consecutive rate hike this year.

Freeland stresses Bank of Canada's independence

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings
On March 19, 2021, Richmond RCMP officers responded to the 22000-block of Rathburn Drive to assist with a structure fire. The deceased were identified as brothers, Chaten Dhindsa, 25 and Joban Dhindsa, 23, both of Richmond. The injuries sustained by the Dhindsa brothers were consistent with a homicide. 

New information links homicide of Dhindsa brothers to multiple Lower Mainland shootings

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom
Some restaurants and bars are starting to book holiday parties, both corporate and personal, but it remains to be seen whether bookings will return to pre-pandemic levels,  There are also fears that the winter could bring a wave of cancellations, after last year’s holiday season saw COVID-19 cases skyrocket, and many establishments chose to close their doors for New Year’s Eve.

Restaurants and bars hope for holiday boom

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud
The PBO recently estimated that the dental benefit will cost $703 million, while the rental support will cost up to $940 million. The dental benefit is meant to be an interim measure while the government works on a more complete dental-care program.

PBO says new dental benefit vulnerable to fraud