Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2023 12:32 PM
  • Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Ottawa introduced a new three-year pilot program Tuesday that would incentivize employers to follow worker-protection rules by making it easier for them to hire temporary foreign workers. 

Under the "recognized employer pilot" program, companies with a good track record would only need to prove that they require temporary foreign workers every three years, instead of every 18 months. 

The employer's trusted status would also be flagged to potential workers in the government's job bank.

The new pilot will focus on "the protections and support that improve workplace conditions for temporary foreign workers," Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault said at a press conference in the Southwestern Ontario town of Ruthven on Tuesday. 

The temporary foreign worker program is designed to attract workers from abroad to fill short-term labour market gaps in cases where no Canadians or permanent residents are available. 

Employers involved in the pilot program will need to go through a more rigorous upfront assessment, Boissonnault said. 

Agricultural companies will be able to apply to be part of the pilot in September, and all other employers will be eligible in January. 

The pilot will simplify the hiring process by lifting the administrative burden of having to resubmit their paperwork every 18 months, said Jennifer Wright, executive director of the Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council.

"The government of Canada is addressing an important impediment to addressing labour shortages that have harmed the competitiveness of Canada's agriculture sector," she said in a statement Tuesday. 

The government set aside $29.3 million over three years for the program in its 2022 federal budget, referring to it at the time as the "trusted employer model."

Allegations of abuse have plagued the temporary foreign worker program for years.

Boissonnault said language barriers, social and physical isolation and a lack of awareness about their rights all make workers more vulnerable to abuse, and the government has attempted to curb the problems with more oversight.

Between April 2022 and March 2023, more than 2,100 inspections revealed 117 employers were found to be "out of compliance." Of those, 94 employers were fined a total of $1.5 million, 23 received warnings and six were banned from the program for five years. 

"The system is working, keeping workers safe," Boissonnault said. 

He said his office has launched a tip line for workers and advocates who witness wrongdoing, which is accessible in 200 languages.

MORE National ARTICLES

Crown seeks 12 years for Amanda Todd harasser

Crown seeks 12 years for Amanda Todd harasser
The Crown is seeking a 12-year prison term for 44-year-old Aydin Coban, who was convicted in August of several offences related to an unrelenting online attack aimed at Port Coquitlam teen Amanda Todd. She endured three years of online stalking and abuse as Coban hid behind aliases and threatened and blackmailed her, before she took her own life in 2012 when she was 15.  

Crown seeks 12 years for Amanda Todd harasser

Vancouver Police investigating after Downtown Eastside shooting

Vancouver Police investigating after Downtown Eastside shooting
Just before 11:00 this morning, the VPD received 9-1-1 calls reporting a man standing at East Hastings and Columbia Street had just fired a gun, then ran out of the area. The witnesses also reported bear spray had been deployed around the same time.

Vancouver Police investigating after Downtown Eastside shooting

Make work-hour pilot permanent: student advocates

Make work-hour pilot permanent: student advocates
The International Sikh Students Association has long been calling for this change, and launched a petition early this year to move that cap from 20 to 30 hours to up the quality of life for students. Jaspreet Singh, who founded the association, said the government's decision to temporarily lift the cap came as a surprise.

Make work-hour pilot permanent: student advocates

Victoria man reported missing in Spain found dead

Victoria man reported missing in Spain found dead
A statement from Victoria police says 67-year-old Scott Graham was last seen in Madrid. The statement says his body has been located but it doesn't say where or when. He was suffering from a medical condition that had the potential to become life-threatening without medication and the alert in August said Graham's family was "deeply concerned" about his disappearance. 

Victoria man reported missing in Spain found dead

Long weekend shooting results in victim driving himself to hospital

Long weekend shooting results in victim driving himself to hospital
Initial indications are that it was a targeted incident. Although the motive of the shooting remains under investigation, the victim is known to police and has gang affiliations. At the time of the shooting the victim was driving a 2016 White Honda Civic and travelling northbound on Scott Road. The suspect vehicle is described as a dark sedan.

Long weekend shooting results in victim driving himself to hospital

No major issues after B.C.'s first fall windstorm

No major issues after B.C.'s first fall windstorm
The first significant windstorm of British Columbia's unseasonably warm fall buffeted much of the province Monday, but only a few hundred customers remained without power less than 24 hours later. BC Hydro says heavy wind gusts affected the northern and central Interior, leaving some residents of Prince George, Smithers, Burns Lake and Fort Nelson in the dark overnight.

No major issues after B.C.'s first fall windstorm