Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2023 12:32 PM
  • Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Ottawa introduced a new three-year pilot program Tuesday that would incentivize employers to follow worker-protection rules by making it easier for them to hire temporary foreign workers. 

Under the "recognized employer pilot" program, companies with a good track record would only need to prove that they require temporary foreign workers every three years, instead of every 18 months. 

The employer's trusted status would also be flagged to potential workers in the government's job bank.

The new pilot will focus on "the protections and support that improve workplace conditions for temporary foreign workers," Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault said at a press conference in the Southwestern Ontario town of Ruthven on Tuesday. 

The temporary foreign worker program is designed to attract workers from abroad to fill short-term labour market gaps in cases where no Canadians or permanent residents are available. 

Employers involved in the pilot program will need to go through a more rigorous upfront assessment, Boissonnault said. 

Agricultural companies will be able to apply to be part of the pilot in September, and all other employers will be eligible in January. 

The pilot will simplify the hiring process by lifting the administrative burden of having to resubmit their paperwork every 18 months, said Jennifer Wright, executive director of the Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council.

"The government of Canada is addressing an important impediment to addressing labour shortages that have harmed the competitiveness of Canada's agriculture sector," she said in a statement Tuesday. 

The government set aside $29.3 million over three years for the program in its 2022 federal budget, referring to it at the time as the "trusted employer model."

Allegations of abuse have plagued the temporary foreign worker program for years.

Boissonnault said language barriers, social and physical isolation and a lack of awareness about their rights all make workers more vulnerable to abuse, and the government has attempted to curb the problems with more oversight.

Between April 2022 and March 2023, more than 2,100 inspections revealed 117 employers were found to be "out of compliance." Of those, 94 employers were fined a total of $1.5 million, 23 received warnings and six were banned from the program for five years. 

"The system is working, keeping workers safe," Boissonnault said. 

He said his office has launched a tip line for workers and advocates who witness wrongdoing, which is accessible in 200 languages.

MORE National ARTICLES

Joly promises Indo-Pacific strategy this year

Joly promises Indo-Pacific strategy this year
The strategy will include co-operation on climate change, she said in an interview with the Atlantic Council think tank in Washington, D.C. Joly also revealed she will visit Peru next week for the Organization of American States summit.  

Joly promises Indo-Pacific strategy this year

Canadians reflect about residential schools on Truth and Reconciliation Day

Canadians reflect about residential schools on Truth and Reconciliation Day
The federal statutory holiday, also known as Orange Shirt Day, was established last year to remember children who died while being forced to attend residential schools, as well as those who survived, and the families and communities still affected by lasting trauma.  

Canadians reflect about residential schools on Truth and Reconciliation Day

Driver in custody after fatal B.C. crash

Driver in custody after fatal B.C. crash
Abbotsford police say the 51-year-old driver of the other vehicle is in custody as part of an impaired driving investigation. Officers responded to a crash at the intersection of Wells Line Road and McDermott Road at 6:25 p.m.  

Driver in custody after fatal B.C. crash

Parts of B.C. at second-most severe drought rating

Parts of B.C. at second-most severe drought rating
A statement from the ministry says those regions are ranked at Drought Level 4, meaning conditions are extremely dry and will likely have unfavourable impacts on everything from jobs to ecosystems.

Parts of B.C. at second-most severe drought rating

B.C. expanding power of pharmacists to prescribe

B.C. expanding power of pharmacists to prescribe
Pharmacists will be able to administer more vaccines and renew prescriptions for people who have lost their family doctors starting Oct. 14. Next spring, they will begin prescribing drugs for minor ailments like urinary tract infections, allergies and indigestion, meaning patients won't have to visit a doctor first.

B.C. expanding power of pharmacists to prescribe

Vancouver gas prices pass $2.39, setting new high

Vancouver gas prices pass $2.39, setting new high
Gas prices in Vancouver hit a new high of more than $2.39 a litre at some stations Thursday, blowing past the previous peak set this summer. One gas analyst said that's a new all-time record for North America, and expects prices to continue to rise this week.  

Vancouver gas prices pass $2.39, setting new high