Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Placing Live Crabs On Toronto Subway Seats Is A 'Shellfish' Act, TTC Says

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 May, 2018 01:29 PM
    TORONTO — The Toronto Transit Commission is calling it a "shellfish" act.
     
     
    A picture posted on Facebook shows live crabs placed on seats on a Toronto subway car.
     
     
    The poster wrote that a man placed four of the crustaceans on the seats around him on the crowded train.
     
     
    TTC spokesman Brad Ross says the transit agency doesn't know exactly when the incident occurred, but says "crabs belong in buckets not on TTC seats."
     
     
    He says to put crabs on seats instead of allowing people to sit is "shellfish behaviour."
     
     

    I don't normally post anything on Facebook, but I felt an intense desire to share this TTC story with y'all: There was...

    Posted by Pony Macaroni on Wednesday, 9 May 2018
     
     
     
    Ross says there is also a serious side to the incident, and the TTC doesn't want to see altercations because people aren't able to sit. He says there was a report of a confrontation over the crabs.
     
     
    He adds there might also be concerns for people who are allergic to shellfish.
     
     
    The Facebook post said one person looking for an empty seat screamed when she saw the crabs and walked off, but came back a few seconds later and swept the critters off the seats.
     
     
    "That's crab assault," the poster quoted the man as saying before picking them up and putting them back on the seats.
     
     
    "The owner of these crabs may claim that they were service crabs or emotional support crabs or therapy crabs — we don't buy that," Ross said Thursday.
     
     
    "They didn't have bibs, they didn't have any hot drawn butter, so they weren't a meal," he said.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Man, Two Women, Found Dead In Car On Northern Alberta Access Road

    Man, Two Women, Found Dead In Car On Northern Alberta Access Road
    They say a security guard found a 29-year-old man and two women, ages 21 and 22, in a two-door car on a semi-remote access road near the hamlet of Conklin over the noon hour on Tuesday.

    Man, Two Women, Found Dead In Car On Northern Alberta Access Road

    Students Feel Safer With Police Presence In Certain Ontario High Schools: Study

    Students Feel Safer With Police Presence In Certain Ontario High Schools: Study
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — A new study suggests the practice of placing police officers in certain southern Ontario high schools made students feel safer while building good relationships with law enforcement.

    Students Feel Safer With Police Presence In Certain Ontario High Schools: Study

    Assault Was Videoed: Teen Pleads Guilty In Manitoba Woman's Fatal Beating

    Assault Was Videoed: Teen Pleads Guilty In Manitoba Woman's Fatal Beating
    WINNIPEG — A second teenage girl charged in the fatal beating of a young woman from an eastern Manitoba Indigenous community has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

    Assault Was Videoed: Teen Pleads Guilty In Manitoba Woman's Fatal Beating

    Newfoundland Woman Who Won $1.5M Lottery Jackpot While Fighting Cancer Has Died

    Newfoundland Woman Who Won $1.5M Lottery Jackpot While Fighting Cancer Has Died
    A Newfoundland woman who was suffering from an advanced form of cancer when she won a $1.5-million lottery jackpot in November has died.

    Newfoundland Woman Who Won $1.5M Lottery Jackpot While Fighting Cancer Has Died

    Woman Rescued From Toronto Construction Crane Last Year Gets Absolute Discharge

    Woman Rescued From Toronto Construction Crane Last Year Gets Absolute Discharge
    Marisa Lazo, 23, was stranded for hours after climbing a crane at a downtown construction site in the middle of the night in April.

    Woman Rescued From Toronto Construction Crane Last Year Gets Absolute Discharge

    Protest Against Tim Hortons Reaction To New Minimum Wage Planned Across Ontario

    Protest Against Tim Hortons Reaction To New Minimum Wage Planned Across Ontario
    TORONTO — Labour organizations across Ontario are holding rallies today to protest the actions some Tim Hortons franchises have taken in response to an increase in the province's minimum wage.

    Protest Against Tim Hortons Reaction To New Minimum Wage Planned Across Ontario