Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plaque Replacing Sir John A. Macdonald Statue Defaced, Victoria Keeping Monument

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Aug, 2018 10:48 AM
    VICTORIA — An offer from Ontario to find a new home for a statue of Sir John A. Macdonald has been declined by the city of Victoria.
     
     
    Mayor Lisa Helps says the city is carefully storing the statue of Canada's first prime minister after recently removing it from the grounds at city hall.
     
     
    She says in a text that the city is continuing to discuss the best place to locate the statue with First Nations and the community.
     
     
    The statue of Macdonald, who represented Victoria in Parliament from 1878 to 1882, was removed as part of the reconciliation process with the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations.
     
     
    Helps and several Victoria councillors began discussions last year to remove the statue in light of Macdonald's role in the creation of the residential school system that displaced thousands of Indigenous youth.
     
     
    A temporary plaque placed where the statue was removed was vandalized less than a day after it was installed.
     
     
    The words "communism" and "1984" were scrawled on the surface and a large X was scratched on the plaque that explained the reasons for the statue's removal.
     
     
    Helps says she's not surprised the plaque was vandalized.
     
     
    Macdonald should be celebrated for "all the great things" he has done but it's also time to "grapple with all the other legacies of his term in office," Helps told radio station CFAX.
     
     
    "I think we have broadened the conversation and if that's changing history, then maybe we have."
     
     
    Helps has been criticized for fast-tracking the statue's removal just two days after council vote on Thursday, but she dismissed complaints about a lack of consultation.
     
     
    "I don't imagine, in 1982, when the statue was put in, there was any consultation either."
     
     
    The Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations were consulted because they are the most directly affected, she said.
     
     
    Sylvia Jones, Ontario's minister of tourism, culture and sport, told the legislature Monday that it is important to learn from the mistakes made by historical figures.
     
     
    "There are historical figures who served in this house from across the political spectrum who, frankly, their views would not be viewed very appreciatively now," she said. "We cannot let extreme political correctness dictate what people can learn and see in our communities. Using that logic, there would not be a museum open in the province of Ontario today."
     
     
    Helps said Victoria continues to look for the right place for the statue.
     
     
    "The city has no intention of getting rid of the statue. It was a gift to the city," she said in her text to The Canadian Press. "We are storing it carefully and in the meantime, we will have a continued dialogue with the nations and the community as to the best place, way and context to place the statue that balances commemoration with reconciliation." (The Canadian Press, CFAX)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Mississauga Gymnastics Coach Charged After Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Teen Girl

    Mississauga Gymnastics Coach Charged After Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Teen Girl
    Peel regional police say they were approached earlier this year by a 15-year-old girl from the area who reported multiple allegations of sexual misconduct over a four-year period.

    Mississauga Gymnastics Coach Charged After Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Teen Girl

    Insurer Must Pay $237,000 In Legal Costs To Elderly Woman Awarded $20,000

    Insurer Must Pay $237,000 In Legal Costs To Elderly Woman Awarded $20,000
    TORONTO — An insurance company that played litigation hardball with an elderly car-accident victim has been ordered to pay $237,000 to cover the legal costs she incurred in winning a $20,000 settlement.

    Insurer Must Pay $237,000 In Legal Costs To Elderly Woman Awarded $20,000

    2 Arrested After Volunteers Clash During Tiranga Rally In UP Town

    2 Arrested After Volunteers Clash During Tiranga Rally In UP Town
    The rally was taken out by activists of the Hindu Yuva Vahini and Bajrang Dal in the wake of the killing of a youth, Chandan Gupta, in Kasganj last week

    2 Arrested After Volunteers Clash During Tiranga Rally In UP Town

    Surrey Man Charged After Loaded Pistol, Drugs And Cash Seized During Traffic Stop

    Surrey Man Charged After Loaded Pistol, Drugs And Cash Seized During Traffic Stop
    Police Say John Schoch Faces Five Charges In Connection To The Incident, And More Are Possible

    Surrey Man Charged After Loaded Pistol, Drugs And Cash Seized During Traffic Stop

    Three Charged In 2016 Surrey Shooting And 'Targeted' Break-and-Enter

    Three Charged In 2016 Surrey Shooting And 'Targeted' Break-and-Enter
    After a lengthy investigation following a 2016 shooting, several charges have been approved against three people.

    Three Charged In 2016 Surrey Shooting And 'Targeted' Break-and-Enter

    Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash

    Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash
    VANCOUVER — Prominent British Columbia business leader Nick Geer has been killed in a car crash in California.

    Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash