Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Penticton homeless shelter fuels B.C. dispute

Penticton homeless shelter fuels B.C. dispute
Earlier this month, council voted to reject B.C. Housing's application to extend its temporary-use permit beyond March 31 for another year.

Penticton homeless shelter fuels B.C. dispute

DARPAN 10 with Dr. Baldev S. Sanghera

DARPAN 10 with Dr. Baldev S. Sanghera
Dr. Baldev S. Sanghera is a Family Physician & Medical Director of Burnaby COVID-19 Testing, Assessment and Treatment Centre  

DARPAN 10 with Dr. Baldev S. Sanghera

Health measures tightened in Regina

Health measures tightened in Regina
The province says a ban on household guests that was lifted two weeks ago is immediately back in place in Regina.

Health measures tightened in Regina

Singh distances himself from MP's post on racism

Singh distances himself from MP's post on racism
Nonetheless, Singh says NDP lawmaker Matthew Green has the right to express himself as a racialized Canadian and that every province and territory continues to struggle with systemic racism.

Singh distances himself from MP's post on racism

Judge denies Meng's request on loan evidence

Judge denies Meng's request on loan evidence
The judge says a lender who makes a loan on the strength of a misrepresentation is at risk of economic loss, because they have lost the use of the funds for the period of the loan.

Judge denies Meng's request on loan evidence

Liberals to table federal budget April 19

Liberals to table federal budget April 19
It will also be Freeland’s first budget as finance minister; she took on the portfolio last summer following Bill Morneau’s resignation.

Liberals to table federal budget April 19