Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

Darpan News Desk City of Surrey, 14 May, 2021 04:49 PM
  • Plastic Bag and Foam Takeout Container Ban Planned to Come Into Effect November 2021

The City of Surrey moves a step closer in eliminating the negative environmental impacts of plastic bags and other single-use Items.  Council approved the Communication and Education Plan to prepare businesses for the ban on plastic bags and foam takeout container and cups, planned to begin in November 2021.

“I’m proud that Surrey is anticipated to be the first city in the Metro Vancouver region to implement a ban on plastic checkout bags,” says Mayor McCallum.  “Council has been leading the way on green initiatives and this step is proof of the measures we are prepared to take to protect and better our environment. This move affirms Surrey’s commitment to reducing landfill waste and pollution created by these types of materials. In the coming months, we will be working closely with our business community to support them on this very important initiative that is good for our citizens, our communities and our City.”

The City will lead a comprehensive communication and education plan to help businesses phase out and eliminate the use and distribution of plastic checkout bags, foam cups and take-out containers. The plan outlines key tools, resources and awareness activities which will prepare businesses and the public for the upcoming ban.

The plan will include:

  • A business toolkit;
  • Virtual information sessions;
  • Brochures; and
  • Additional engagement activities and resources.

Other municipalities, provinces, and the federal government are making similar commitments to reducing unnecessary waste and pollution caused by short-lived plastics that are designed for limited use with limited recyclability.

For more information, visit surrey.ca/singleuse.

Photo courtesy of Istock. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Lower Mainland vaccine response 'overwhelming'

Lower Mainland vaccine response 'overwhelming'
A statement issued by the Ministry of Health said appointments opened today, but London Drugs posted a message Tuesday saying all bookings at its three designated sites had been filled.

Lower Mainland vaccine response 'overwhelming'

COVID-19 side-effect: flu cases way down in Canada

COVID-19 side-effect: flu cases way down in Canada
There has been no evidence of flu spreading in the community, no confirmed outbreaks and the number of hospitalizations and deaths due to the flu is zero.

COVID-19 side-effect: flu cases way down in Canada

Pandemic to plunge deficit to $363B, PBO says

Pandemic to plunge deficit to $363B, PBO says
The economy too is faring better than Giroux anticipated, and his office has revised its projections for economic growth starting in the second half of this year.

Pandemic to plunge deficit to $363B, PBO says

Toronto to get new vaccine-manufacturing plant

Toronto to get new vaccine-manufacturing plant
The project will create 1,225 jobs and Sanofi will also invest at least $79 million a year to fund Canadian research and development.

Toronto to get new vaccine-manufacturing plant

Biden unveiling $2-trillion infrastructure plan

Biden unveiling $2-trillion infrastructure plan
Biden is bent on resurrecting America's manufacturing sector, as well — the plan includes $580 billion for manufacturing, job training and R & D.

Biden unveiling $2-trillion infrastructure plan

AstraZeneca shots offered to ages 55-65 in B.C

AstraZeneca shots offered to ages 55-65 in B.C
Beginning Wednesday, those between the ages of 55 and 65 can call their local pharmacy and book an appointment to receive their vaccine.

AstraZeneca shots offered to ages 55-65 in B.C