Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Mar, 2023 05:07 PM
  • PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

OTTAWA - The Prime Minister's Office says Justin Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, stayed in a $6,000 per night hotel suite while attending the funeral for Queen Elizabeth II.

The stay at the Corinthia London hotel became the subject of public debate last fall when media honed in on the details of the $400,000 trip, after obtaining documents through access-to-information requests.

But Trudeau's office and Global Affairs Canada did not respond to questions last month about who stayed in the expensive river suite, which features a butler service.

Opposition MPs on the government operations committee asked for a copy of all receipts and invoices associated with the trip last month.

The room was booked on Sept. 9, one day after the Queen's death, for Sept. 15 to 20.

In a statement, the Prime Minister's Office says hotel prices surged significantly ahead of the funeral, and many London hotels were sold out as 500 heads of state and their delegations descended on the city.

The hotel's website currently lists the suite at 5,154 British pounds per night, higher than the 4,800 pounds the government was charged in September.

A night in the river suite next month would come out to more than $8,000 at the current exchange rate.

The Prime Minister's Office did not immediately respond to questions about the higher prices and why the government chose this particular hotel.

Documents released through access-to-information requests note that the booking was for a three-bed suite. The hotel's website says it has one king-sized bed but there are "connecting rooms available on request."

In November, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre peppered Trudeau with questions in the House of Commons about who stayed in the suite, but he didn't answer.

"The death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was a significant event for Canadians. Canada was represented by former prime ministers and governors general to pay their respects to the monarch who oversaw almost half of Canada’s time as an independent country," said a press secretary for Trudeau in a written statement Thursday.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man stabbed in North Delta

Man stabbed in North Delta
The male victim who was suffering from an apparent stab wound drove himself from the scene, and DPD officers located him in Surrey. The victim and the suspect are known to each other and there is no risk to the public. The victim suffered minor injuries and was released from hospital a short time later.  

Man stabbed in North Delta

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver
Alana is known to the children and their mother, and there is no indication that either child has been harmed or is in imminent danger. Investigators believe there is no concern for the safety of any other children in the community.

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates
On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 8:43 pm, Surrey RCMP was called to Hazelnut Meadows Park located near 140 Street between 68 Avenue and 70 Ave. Upon police attendance, a deceased man was located, whose injuries were consistent with suspected foul play.

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting
They say officers had responded to a shots-fired report in the 13,700-block of Grosvenor Road around 9:49 a.m. last Saturday, when they found Brown injured and took him to hospital, where he died on Wednesday.

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4
The fraud charge against Craig James was stayed last week because it was related to the same set of evidence involving nearly $1,900 in claims he made for work attire, so a conviction was not entered on that count.

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.
Councillors have voted unanimously in favour of a ban on the noisy, fume-producing tools, including chainsaws and lawn mowers. Users, from homeowners to professional landscaping companies, will have three years to phase out gas-powered items.    

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.