Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Mar, 2023 05:07 PM
  • PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

OTTAWA - The Prime Minister's Office says Justin Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, stayed in a $6,000 per night hotel suite while attending the funeral for Queen Elizabeth II.

The stay at the Corinthia London hotel became the subject of public debate last fall when media honed in on the details of the $400,000 trip, after obtaining documents through access-to-information requests.

But Trudeau's office and Global Affairs Canada did not respond to questions last month about who stayed in the expensive river suite, which features a butler service.

Opposition MPs on the government operations committee asked for a copy of all receipts and invoices associated with the trip last month.

The room was booked on Sept. 9, one day after the Queen's death, for Sept. 15 to 20.

In a statement, the Prime Minister's Office says hotel prices surged significantly ahead of the funeral, and many London hotels were sold out as 500 heads of state and their delegations descended on the city.

The hotel's website currently lists the suite at 5,154 British pounds per night, higher than the 4,800 pounds the government was charged in September.

A night in the river suite next month would come out to more than $8,000 at the current exchange rate.

The Prime Minister's Office did not immediately respond to questions about the higher prices and why the government chose this particular hotel.

Documents released through access-to-information requests note that the booking was for a three-bed suite. The hotel's website says it has one king-sized bed but there are "connecting rooms available on request."

In November, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre peppered Trudeau with questions in the House of Commons about who stayed in the suite, but he didn't answer.

"The death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was a significant event for Canadians. Canada was represented by former prime ministers and governors general to pay their respects to the monarch who oversaw almost half of Canada’s time as an independent country," said a press secretary for Trudeau in a written statement Thursday.

MORE National ARTICLES

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby
On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 11:26 p.m., Burnaby RCMP frontline officers came upon a pedestrian that had been struck by a vehicle in the 6600 block of Hastings Street in Burnaby. A 2019 white Ford Edge was travelling east-bound on Hastings Street when it struck a lone pedestrian crossing the roadway.

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver
Despite life-saving efforts by VPD, BC Ambulance Service and Vancouver Fire Rescue Services, the victim was taken to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries and died. A 24-year-old man has been arrested and remains in custody. The investigation is ongoing.

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru
  The 376 passengers arrived off the coast of B.C. hoping to challenge the immigration laws at the time which refused entry to any Indians who had not arrived in Canada via a continuous journey from the home country — nearly impossible at the time.    

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home
Upon attendance, Frontline officers spoke with the adult female resident, who reported that she had been sexually assaulted by an unknown male suspect. The female victim was taken to an area hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a shot fired in the 13700 block of Grosvenor road. A male suffering from serious injuries was located and transported to a local area hospital.    

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP
Richmond RCMP is saddened to report that missing 64-year old Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj (male) has been found deceased on May 19, 2022 in the 6800 block of Miller Rd. This incident is not considered suspicious. 

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP