Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Mar, 2023 05:07 PM
  • PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

OTTAWA - The Prime Minister's Office says Justin Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, stayed in a $6,000 per night hotel suite while attending the funeral for Queen Elizabeth II.

The stay at the Corinthia London hotel became the subject of public debate last fall when media honed in on the details of the $400,000 trip, after obtaining documents through access-to-information requests.

But Trudeau's office and Global Affairs Canada did not respond to questions last month about who stayed in the expensive river suite, which features a butler service.

Opposition MPs on the government operations committee asked for a copy of all receipts and invoices associated with the trip last month.

The room was booked on Sept. 9, one day after the Queen's death, for Sept. 15 to 20.

In a statement, the Prime Minister's Office says hotel prices surged significantly ahead of the funeral, and many London hotels were sold out as 500 heads of state and their delegations descended on the city.

The hotel's website currently lists the suite at 5,154 British pounds per night, higher than the 4,800 pounds the government was charged in September.

A night in the river suite next month would come out to more than $8,000 at the current exchange rate.

The Prime Minister's Office did not immediately respond to questions about the higher prices and why the government chose this particular hotel.

Documents released through access-to-information requests note that the booking was for a three-bed suite. The hotel's website says it has one king-sized bed but there are "connecting rooms available on request."

In November, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre peppered Trudeau with questions in the House of Commons about who stayed in the suite, but he didn't answer.

"The death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was a significant event for Canadians. Canada was represented by former prime ministers and governors general to pay their respects to the monarch who oversaw almost half of Canada’s time as an independent country," said a press secretary for Trudeau in a written statement Thursday.

MORE National ARTICLES

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP
Const. Richard Johns says 28-year-old Rykel Frank and 29-year-old Mitchell Frank will go before a judge this week following their arrest on Friday. 6 year-old Dontay Lucas was found dead in a home in Port Alberni in March 2018.

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement
The new Surrey Langley Skytrain public engagement begins Monday, May 9, 2022, and runs until June 9. Open houses for members of the public are scheduled for May 25 in Surrey and for May 31 in Langley. Surrey Langley SkyTrain is currently scheduled for completion in late 2028, two years earlier than first estimated.

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season
U.S. border officials also seem to be seeing more people trying to cross in the opposite direction. 6 Indian nationals were rescued from a boat sinking on the St. Regis River in northern New York late last month, part of what court documents allege was a human smuggling operation.

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed
While the investigation is still in the early stages, investigators confirm one person is in custody at this point. Although one person has been arrested, police continue to treat this investigation as active and ongoing to determine the circumstances, states Corporal Paige Kuz, Coquitlam RCMP Media Relations Officer.    

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend
VPD officers were called to Crab Park around 10.20 a.m. Saturday for reports of one man being assaulted. Andrew Wadden, a 45-year-old Vancouver resident, was found by police in the park with life-threatening injuries.

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend

B.C. money laundering report gets extension

B.C. money laundering report gets extension
The B.C. government says in a statement the report's submission had previously been due May 20, but the extension is a result of several members of the Cullen Commission inquiry team contracting COVID-19.

B.C. money laundering report gets extension