Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Mar, 2023 05:07 PM
  • PM stayed in $6k London suite for royal funeral

OTTAWA - The Prime Minister's Office says Justin Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, stayed in a $6,000 per night hotel suite while attending the funeral for Queen Elizabeth II.

The stay at the Corinthia London hotel became the subject of public debate last fall when media honed in on the details of the $400,000 trip, after obtaining documents through access-to-information requests.

But Trudeau's office and Global Affairs Canada did not respond to questions last month about who stayed in the expensive river suite, which features a butler service.

Opposition MPs on the government operations committee asked for a copy of all receipts and invoices associated with the trip last month.

The room was booked on Sept. 9, one day after the Queen's death, for Sept. 15 to 20.

In a statement, the Prime Minister's Office says hotel prices surged significantly ahead of the funeral, and many London hotels were sold out as 500 heads of state and their delegations descended on the city.

The hotel's website currently lists the suite at 5,154 British pounds per night, higher than the 4,800 pounds the government was charged in September.

A night in the river suite next month would come out to more than $8,000 at the current exchange rate.

The Prime Minister's Office did not immediately respond to questions about the higher prices and why the government chose this particular hotel.

Documents released through access-to-information requests note that the booking was for a three-bed suite. The hotel's website says it has one king-sized bed but there are "connecting rooms available on request."

In November, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre peppered Trudeau with questions in the House of Commons about who stayed in the suite, but he didn't answer.

"The death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was a significant event for Canadians. Canada was represented by former prime ministers and governors general to pay their respects to the monarch who oversaw almost half of Canada’s time as an independent country," said a press secretary for Trudeau in a written statement Thursday.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. officer stabbed, but recovering from wounds

B.C. officer stabbed, but recovering from wounds
Police say when the officer was speaking to the complainant, the man fled into the home and the officer was stabbed after he followed. The release says the officer was able to take the man, who was known to the complainant, into custody and drive himself and the suspect to hospital.

B.C. officer stabbed, but recovering from wounds

Fugitive back in custody after causing multi-car collision

Fugitive back in custody after causing multi-car collision
A Vancouver Police officer was patrolling near Main Street and Terminal Avenue when he attempted to stop a vehicle that was allegedly driven by a 29-year-old man with 10 Canada-wide warrants, including charges for firearms and drug trafficking.

Fugitive back in custody after causing multi-car collision

Liberals ready another budget under cloudy outlook

Liberals ready another budget under cloudy outlook
Three-decade-high inflation rates may climb further. Unemployment is low, but labour shortages are widespread. Housing prices continue to rise at paces not seen in years.

Liberals ready another budget under cloudy outlook

One dead in Surrey apartment building fire

One dead in Surrey apartment building fire
Surrey RCMP were called to the building on 107a Ave. near King George Blvd. at about 8:20 p.m. Upon arrival, officers found a lower floor suite fully engulfed in flames, and began evacuating the building.    

One dead in Surrey apartment building fire

Woman pleads guilty after child's death in daycare

Woman pleads guilty after child's death in daycare
The British Columbia Prosecution Service says Susy Yasmine Saad entered the guilty plea in court on Monday to a single count affecting nine children, including one child who died.

Woman pleads guilty after child's death in daycare

Victim assualted with a hatchet and robbed of their bag

Victim assualted with a hatchet and robbed of their bag
At this time it is believed this was an unprovoked attack and the victim and suspect are not known to each other. The charges of one count of Aggravated Assault and one count of robbery against 30 year old Abdulkadir Hassan of Burnaby have been approved by Crown Counsel. 

Victim assualted with a hatchet and robbed of their bag