Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

PM Trudeau Determined To Build Pipeline, Tackle Climate Change Despite Court Ruling

The Canadian Press, 31 Aug, 2018 02:15 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says his government remains committed to getting the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion built and also to its national climate-change plan — both of which were put in jeopardy by a bombshell court ruling that overturned federal approval for the project.
     
     
    The government intends to move forward to get the pipeline expansion built "in the right way," the prime minister said Friday, indicating that the government accepts the Federal Court of Appeal's criticism of the approval process.
     
     
    The court ruled Thursday that the National Energy Board's environmental assessment of the project was fatally flawed because it ignored the potential impact of increased oil tanker traffic off British Columbia's coast. It also ruled that the federal government had not fulfilled its duty to meaningfully consult with affected Indigenous groups.
     
     
    "We are taking the time now to understand the court ruling, which addresses two things that are very important to this government — getting the science and the environmental protections right and making sure we are walking forward in a true path of reconciliation and partnership with Indigenous Peoples," Trudeau said after an event in Oshawa, Ont.
     
     
    "We're going to continue to move forward to get this pipeline built in the right way by acknowledging what the court has said."
     
     
    Indeed, the federal government's $4.5-billion purchase of the pipeline and expansion project from Kinder Morgan was finalized Friday. The government initiated the purchase last spring, after Kinder Morgan concluded the political and legal uncertainties surrounding the project rendered it too risky for its shareholders.
     
     
    The expansion, aimed at getting Alberta's oilsands bitumen to B.C.'s coast where it can be shipped to overseas markets, would triple the capacity of the Trans Mountain pipeline between Edmonton and Burnaby to 890,000 barrels a day, and would increase the number of tankers in Burrard Inlet seven-fold.
     
     
    Thursday's court ruling prompted Alberta Premier Rachel Notley to announce that her province is withdrawing from the controversial national climate change plan and will stay out until the federal government gets its act together, as she put it. Without Alberta, Notley asserted, the national plan "isn't worth the paper it's written on."
     
     
    But Trudeau suggested Notley's move doesn't alter the federal commitment to the national climate change plan — or have any impact on it for at least a few years.
     
     
    The federal plan requires provinces and territories to put a price on carbon emissions — through a cap and trade system, a carbon tax or some hybrid scheme — of at least $20 per tonne, starting Jan. 1. The minimum price will rise by $10 per tonne every year until it reaches $50 per tonne in 2022.
     
     
    The federal government intends to impose a carbon price on any province that fails to come up with its own carbon pricing scheme — including Alberta if need be, Trudeau indicated.
     
     
    "I've always said, if there are provinces that don't want to participate in this climate change plan, the federal government will do it alone."
     
     
    However, he said that won't be an immediate issue with Alberta since that province's carbon pricing plan remains in place and "is equivalent to the targets set by the federal government, at least for the next few years."
     
     
    Notley's government started imposing a $20-per-tonne carbon tax last year, which rose to $30 per tonne this year. Until 2021, Alberta's price will be higher than or equal to the federal targets.
     
     
    That could change if Notley loses next year's provincial election. Jason Kenney, United Conservative party leader and front-runner in opinion polls at the moment, has vowed to scrap the province's carbon tax and join Saskatchewan and Ontario in a legal challenge to the federal climate plan.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Mississauga Gymnastics Coach Charged After Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Teen Girl

    Mississauga Gymnastics Coach Charged After Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Teen Girl
    Peel regional police say they were approached earlier this year by a 15-year-old girl from the area who reported multiple allegations of sexual misconduct over a four-year period.

    Mississauga Gymnastics Coach Charged After Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Teen Girl

    Insurer Must Pay $237,000 In Legal Costs To Elderly Woman Awarded $20,000

    Insurer Must Pay $237,000 In Legal Costs To Elderly Woman Awarded $20,000
    TORONTO — An insurance company that played litigation hardball with an elderly car-accident victim has been ordered to pay $237,000 to cover the legal costs she incurred in winning a $20,000 settlement.

    Insurer Must Pay $237,000 In Legal Costs To Elderly Woman Awarded $20,000

    2 Arrested After Volunteers Clash During Tiranga Rally In UP Town

    2 Arrested After Volunteers Clash During Tiranga Rally In UP Town
    The rally was taken out by activists of the Hindu Yuva Vahini and Bajrang Dal in the wake of the killing of a youth, Chandan Gupta, in Kasganj last week

    2 Arrested After Volunteers Clash During Tiranga Rally In UP Town

    Surrey Man Charged After Loaded Pistol, Drugs And Cash Seized During Traffic Stop

    Surrey Man Charged After Loaded Pistol, Drugs And Cash Seized During Traffic Stop
    Police Say John Schoch Faces Five Charges In Connection To The Incident, And More Are Possible

    Surrey Man Charged After Loaded Pistol, Drugs And Cash Seized During Traffic Stop

    Three Charged In 2016 Surrey Shooting And 'Targeted' Break-and-Enter

    Three Charged In 2016 Surrey Shooting And 'Targeted' Break-and-Enter
    After a lengthy investigation following a 2016 shooting, several charges have been approved against three people.

    Three Charged In 2016 Surrey Shooting And 'Targeted' Break-and-Enter

    Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash

    Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash
    VANCOUVER — Prominent British Columbia business leader Nick Geer has been killed in a car crash in California.

    Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash