Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

PMO says it will do all it can on school records

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Oct, 2021 03:58 PM
  • PMO says it will do all it can on school records

OTTAWA - The Prime Minister's Office says "to the best of our knowledge," it has provided all residential school records to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.

The PMO says in a written statement that it has provided more than four million documents to the centre, and if all the records haven't been supplied, "we will do everything we can" to make sure all the parties of the Indian Residential School Settlement Agreement have them.

Earlier this week, the national centre in Winnipeg issued a statement saying it's still waiting for Ottawa to provide documents used in the assessment process for compensation claims stemming from abuse at the institutions, despite comments from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that all federal records had been turned over.

Trudeau told a gathering on Monday of Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc leaders, residential school survivors and their families in Kamloops, B.C., that the federal government had, "in our understanding," already provided all of its records to the centre and it would continue looking to make sure no further records remained.

The centre says it is also missing records from Library and Archives Canada and it has been negotiating with the government about access to records since the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was created in 2015, including records to be generated from the database used in the claims resolution process.

The visit to Kamloops was Trudeau's first since the Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc Nation announced in May that more than 200 unmarked graves had been located at the site of the former residential institution there. Since then, numerous Indigenous nations have reported locating unmarked graves at former residential schools with the same ground-penetrating radar technology used in Kamloops.

A letter sent to the prime minister on Thursday by NDP MPs Niki Ashton and Leah Gazan urged the prime minister to immediately provide the centre with all federal records, saying that would be "a small step towards true justice."

"In light of the recovery of children at residential institutions, if there were ever a time in history where it is critical that we work together to ensure true justice is realized, it is now," the letter says.

"Indigenous Peoples and all Canadians deserve to have a true account of the magnitude of crimes committed by Canada against Indigenous Peoples as a result of the residential school system."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Falkland, B.C., evacuated as wildfire threatens

Falkland, B.C., evacuated as wildfire threatens
The wildfire service says fire danger in the southern Interior is ranked high to extreme and strong winds forecast over the White Rock Lake fire have the potential to cause further flare-ups through the day.

Falkland, B.C., evacuated as wildfire threatens

Ottawa won't share details on Afghan refugees

Ottawa won't share details on Afghan refugees
Speaking to a virtual news conference today, Mendicino says the government is dealing with urgent and volatile circumstances in Afghanistan as the international coalition forces led by the United States continue to withdraw from the country and the Taliban gain ground.

Ottawa won't share details on Afghan refugees

Hajdu sends warning letter to Alberta counterpart

Hajdu sends warning letter to Alberta counterpart
In the letter, addressed to Alberta Health Minister Tyler Shandro, Hajdu says she agrees with the Canadian Paediatric Society's description of the move as an "unnecessary and risky gamble."

Hajdu sends warning letter to Alberta counterpart

Show us a border plan, businesses urge Congress

Show us a border plan, businesses urge Congress
The group, led by the North American Strategy for Competitiveness, wants senior congressional leaders to demand a detailed strategy from the Department of Homeland Security.

Show us a border plan, businesses urge Congress

Lawyers for Meng claim U.S. misled B.C. court

Lawyers for Meng claim U.S. misled B.C. court
In the documents presented to the court yesterday, her lawyers claim the United States mischaracterized and omitted evidence to establish a case of fraud when requesting the extradition of Meng from Canada.

Lawyers for Meng claim U.S. misled B.C. court

Damage estimate at $78M for Lytton, B.C., fire

Damage estimate at $78M for Lytton, B.C., fire
The bureau says in a statement there has been about 300 claims so far, most of which are related to residential properties.

Damage estimate at $78M for Lytton, B.C., fire