Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:20 AM
  • Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has demanded the federal government present a plan before Parliament to beef up border security as U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatens to impose stiff tariffs on Canada.

The plan should include measures to increase patrols and technology to crack down on illegal drug trafficking, as well as tightening visa rules and working with provincial law enforcement, Poilievre told a news conference on Sunday.

"The reality is that Trudeau has lost control of the deficit, of immigration and of our border. In less than two months, President Trump will come into office. He's threatened the possibility of imposing tariffs unless there is action to address Trudeau's broken border," he said.

With gridlock in Parliament set to continue, Poilievre said Conservatives "will make accommodations to quickly pass a border plan if it goes towards fixing Trudeau's broken border."

He said Canada should also cap the number of asylum seekers as it faces a significant influx in refugee claims.

Canada had nearly 250,000 refugee claims in the queue as of Sept. 30, 2024, having approved more than 33,000 claims between January and the end of September.

In all of 2023, Canada accepted 37,000 refugee claims, and in 2022, it accepted 28,000.

"I love real refugees," Poilievre said. "Our country was built in large part by real refugees who were genuinely fleeing danger, like my wife. But I have no time for people who lie to come into our country, and that is the problem we have to cut off."

Trump has threatened to slap a 25 per cent tariff on imports from Canada and Mexico unless the two countries stop illegal border crossings and prevent illicit drugs such as fentanyl from entering the United States.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had dinner with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate on Friday, a meeting the president-elect later described as "very productive."

Canada's ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman said in an interview with the Associated Press on Sunday that Trudeau's talk with Trump focused mainly on the border, with Trudeau assuring Trump was aware of the differences between the Canada-U.S. border and United States-Mexico border.

Sources say the two men also discussed trade, Ukraine, NATO, icebreakers, the Middle East and the Group of Seven meeting in Alberta next year.

Trump's presidential inauguration is scheduled for Jan. 20.

In a statement, NDP public safety critic Alistair MacGregor said the Conservative government under Stephen Harper fired 1,100 border officers, "allowing toxic drugs and illegal guns to flow into Canada."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'
A statement from the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative issued Monday says the decision to file for creditor protection stems from the group's "liquidity crisis," with stone fruit crops damaged by weather identified as "the final tipping point" in a series of factors.

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary
RCMP in Alberta say one of two suspects wanted in a deadly shooting east of Calgary last week has been arrested, but the search continues for the other. With assistance from the Edmonton Police Service, Mounties announced Monday night they arrested a 35-year-old suspect in the Alberta capital on August 8.

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Debit card theft in New Westminster

Debit card theft in New Westminster
The New Westminster Police Department has issued a pickpocketing warning after a woman had her debit card stolen and lost over two-thousand dollars. Police say the victim’s card was stolen and then the card was used for 25 hundred dollars in purchases and withdrawals. 

Debit card theft in New Westminster

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona
Police in British Columbia's southern Interior say a single-vehicle crash on the Trans-Canada Highway east of Savona has killed one person.  RCMP say they were called Sunday to respond to the crash involving two women from the Metro Vancouver community of Port Coquitlam.

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks
The Public Health Agency of Canada says a third person has died in a Listeria outbreak connected to Great Value and Silk plant-based milks. The agency says there are now 20 confirmed cases of listeriosis in Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and Alberta. 

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments
The recently appointed chief commissioner of the Canadian Human Rights Commission said Monday that he agreed to resign after an investigation into his past comments related to Israel. Birju Dattani has previously denied allegations that he made anti-Israel statements, including what Conservatives characterize as a "justification of terrorism."

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments