Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:20 AM
  • Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has demanded the federal government present a plan before Parliament to beef up border security as U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatens to impose stiff tariffs on Canada.

The plan should include measures to increase patrols and technology to crack down on illegal drug trafficking, as well as tightening visa rules and working with provincial law enforcement, Poilievre told a news conference on Sunday.

"The reality is that Trudeau has lost control of the deficit, of immigration and of our border. In less than two months, President Trump will come into office. He's threatened the possibility of imposing tariffs unless there is action to address Trudeau's broken border," he said.

With gridlock in Parliament set to continue, Poilievre said Conservatives "will make accommodations to quickly pass a border plan if it goes towards fixing Trudeau's broken border."

He said Canada should also cap the number of asylum seekers as it faces a significant influx in refugee claims.

Canada had nearly 250,000 refugee claims in the queue as of Sept. 30, 2024, having approved more than 33,000 claims between January and the end of September.

In all of 2023, Canada accepted 37,000 refugee claims, and in 2022, it accepted 28,000.

"I love real refugees," Poilievre said. "Our country was built in large part by real refugees who were genuinely fleeing danger, like my wife. But I have no time for people who lie to come into our country, and that is the problem we have to cut off."

Trump has threatened to slap a 25 per cent tariff on imports from Canada and Mexico unless the two countries stop illegal border crossings and prevent illicit drugs such as fentanyl from entering the United States.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had dinner with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate on Friday, a meeting the president-elect later described as "very productive."

Canada's ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman said in an interview with the Associated Press on Sunday that Trudeau's talk with Trump focused mainly on the border, with Trudeau assuring Trump was aware of the differences between the Canada-U.S. border and United States-Mexico border.

Sources say the two men also discussed trade, Ukraine, NATO, icebreakers, the Middle East and the Group of Seven meeting in Alberta next year.

Trump's presidential inauguration is scheduled for Jan. 20.

In a statement, NDP public safety critic Alistair MacGregor said the Conservative government under Stephen Harper fired 1,100 border officers, "allowing toxic drugs and illegal guns to flow into Canada."

MORE National ARTICLES

Parts of Calgary airport closed due to damage from hail and heavy rainfall

Parts of Calgary airport closed due to damage from hail and heavy rainfall
Parts of the domestic terminal building at the Calgary airport are closed due to damage caused by hail and heavy rainfall. The Calgary International Airport said in a post on social media the work has started to clean up the water and assess the damage.

Parts of Calgary airport closed due to damage from hail and heavy rainfall

New housing to be expedited

New housing to be expedited
18 BC communities are among 30 across Canada to reach agreements with the federal government to fast-track the construction of new housing. Ottawa is providing 68 million dollars to support the plans.

New housing to be expedited

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes
Wildfire evacuees from Jasper, Alta., whose homes were destroyed or damaged last week, were able to start registering online Friday for bus tours of the burned townsite. However, when the tours would take place was still undecided.

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister
The minister said there's no timeline on when the water will start flowing, and "current modelling" shows that overtopping of the dam is more likely than a sudden break. They estimate it will take 12 to 24 hours for water and debris from the dam to reach Hope, B.C., about 500 kilometres south of the massive landslide.

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey are warning the public and appealing for information after what they describe as a "brazen" sexual assault at a community centre. The R-C-M-P say they responded to the report on Wednesday morning at the Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre.

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns
Police in Metro Vancouver say they have seized several firearms after a video appeared online showing a group of people dancing with guns. Surrey R-C-M-P say they became aware of the video yesterday and they were able to confirm the address of the property where it was allegedly filmed. 

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns