Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:20 AM
  • Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has demanded the federal government present a plan before Parliament to beef up border security as U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatens to impose stiff tariffs on Canada.

The plan should include measures to increase patrols and technology to crack down on illegal drug trafficking, as well as tightening visa rules and working with provincial law enforcement, Poilievre told a news conference on Sunday.

"The reality is that Trudeau has lost control of the deficit, of immigration and of our border. In less than two months, President Trump will come into office. He's threatened the possibility of imposing tariffs unless there is action to address Trudeau's broken border," he said.

With gridlock in Parliament set to continue, Poilievre said Conservatives "will make accommodations to quickly pass a border plan if it goes towards fixing Trudeau's broken border."

He said Canada should also cap the number of asylum seekers as it faces a significant influx in refugee claims.

Canada had nearly 250,000 refugee claims in the queue as of Sept. 30, 2024, having approved more than 33,000 claims between January and the end of September.

In all of 2023, Canada accepted 37,000 refugee claims, and in 2022, it accepted 28,000.

"I love real refugees," Poilievre said. "Our country was built in large part by real refugees who were genuinely fleeing danger, like my wife. But I have no time for people who lie to come into our country, and that is the problem we have to cut off."

Trump has threatened to slap a 25 per cent tariff on imports from Canada and Mexico unless the two countries stop illegal border crossings and prevent illicit drugs such as fentanyl from entering the United States.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had dinner with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate on Friday, a meeting the president-elect later described as "very productive."

Canada's ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman said in an interview with the Associated Press on Sunday that Trudeau's talk with Trump focused mainly on the border, with Trudeau assuring Trump was aware of the differences between the Canada-U.S. border and United States-Mexico border.

Sources say the two men also discussed trade, Ukraine, NATO, icebreakers, the Middle East and the Group of Seven meeting in Alberta next year.

Trump's presidential inauguration is scheduled for Jan. 20.

In a statement, NDP public safety critic Alistair MacGregor said the Conservative government under Stephen Harper fired 1,100 border officers, "allowing toxic drugs and illegal guns to flow into Canada."

MORE National ARTICLES

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to attend NATO leaders' summit in Washington next week

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to attend NATO leaders' summit in Washington next week
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is heading to Washington next week to take part in the NATO leaders' summit. The 32 NATO allies are set to mark the alliance's 75th anniversary in the same city where the initial treaty was signed.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to attend NATO leaders' summit in Washington next week

United States looking at all tools to respond to Canada's digital services tax

United States looking at all tools to respond to Canada's digital services tax
The Office of the United States Trade Representative says it will do what’s necessary to halt Canada's tax on large foreign digital services companies. Last month Parliament approved the government's plan to add a three per cent levy on foreign tech giants which generate revenue from Canadian users. It means the companies will have to pay taxes on that revenue in Canada.

United States looking at all tools to respond to Canada's digital services tax

Calgary lifts indoor water restrictions, outdoor ban remains

Calgary lifts indoor water restrictions, outdoor ban remains
Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek has lifted restrictions on indoor water use but says an outdoor ban for the city and surrounding communities remains following repairs to a water main that broke on June 5.

Calgary lifts indoor water restrictions, outdoor ban remains

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP
RCMP say Canada Day celebrations led to tragedy in a small northern Alberta community. Mounties in Fort Vermilion say a 45-year-old man was fatally injured during Monday's parade.

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials
Officials say a flash flood west of Kamloops has impacted at least 20 homes in the community of Savona, but no injuries have been reported. Thompson-Nicola Regional District activated its emergency operations centre Monday the day after heavy rain that saw Highway 1 closed for several hours through the community.

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials

Calgary mayor warns water use too high as possible end to restrictions nears

Calgary mayor warns water use too high as possible end to restrictions nears
Calgary's mayor said it's unfortunate residents seem to have abandoned conservation efforts days before full water service is expected to be restored. Jyoti Gondek said Calgarians on Thursday blew past the daily threshold the city set to maintain water service after a massive water main ruptured three weeks ago.

Calgary mayor warns water use too high as possible end to restrictions nears