Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:10 PM
  • Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he is only aware of two genders — male and female — and that the government should leave people alone.

In an interview with CP24 news channel, Poilievre was asked about President Donald Trump signing an executive order declaring the U.S. will only recognize two sexes and that they are unchangeable.

Asked whether or not he would ask the U.S. to recognize the gender-neutral "X" marker available on Canadian passports, Poilievre turned to talk about the cost of living instead.

He says other politicians can discuss identity while he prioritizes giving people back control over their lives and ensuring people are able to afford everyday essentials.

Responding to Poilievre's remarks, executive director of LGBTQ advocacy organization Egale Canada says it's crucial for all political leaders to stand up for trans and gender-diverse people in an era of rising misinformation and hatred.

Helen Kennedy adds that denying the existence of trans and gender diverse people ignores decades of medical and psychological research, and contributes to the discrimination, hate and violence trans and gender-diverse people face.

MORE National ARTICLES

As hate-crime landscape evolves, a reminder — online behaviour exists in real life

As hate-crime landscape evolves, a reminder — online behaviour exists in real life
A lawyer with the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association says it's wise to remember that even though charges over offensive social media activity are rare, online posts exist in real life and involve real people. Laws prohibit the willful promotion of hatred or public incitement of hatred against a specific group as well as the promotion of genocide.

As hate-crime landscape evolves, a reminder — online behaviour exists in real life

B.C. landslide 'dramatically' impacts salmon spawn but conditions improve: task force

B.C. landslide 'dramatically' impacts salmon spawn but conditions improve: task force
The Tsilhqot'in National Government says river conditions are "slowly improving" after the massive landslide that temporarily dammed the Chilcotin River last month, but salmon spawning activity is being delayed. An update from the Tsilhqot'in emergency salmon task force says debris and sediment from the slide are "dramatically" impacting sockeye and Chinook salmon spawning runs.

B.C. landslide 'dramatically' impacts salmon spawn but conditions improve: task force

Homicide investigators called in after two women die in balcony fall

Homicide investigators called in after two women die in balcony fall
Police in North Vancouver say homicide investigators have been called in after two women died from falling off the balcony of an apartment building. RCMP say officers responded to reports that two people who had fallen from the building on Esplanade Avenue in the city's Shipyards area at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Homicide investigators called in after two women die in balcony fall

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC
Premier David Eby says the province and University of British Columbia will partner to create housing for more than 1,500 students at the institution's Vancouver campus. He says funding will involve $300 million from the province and $260 million from the university.

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they are investigating after shots were fired into a vehicle by an unknown assailant over the weekend. Surrey R-C-M-P say the shooting happened on the evening of August 17th, when a white S-U-V travelling south on 124 Street was allegedly followed by a suspect vehicle described as a silver Toyota Corolla.

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey

Man charged in Surrey murder

Man charged in Surrey murder
A 24-year-old man has been charged in the stabbing death of another man that happened in Surrey in July. BC's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says police were called to the scene of a fight on King George Boulevard on July 23rd and found a man identified as Jason Richard Gill suffering from multiple stab wounds.

Man charged in Surrey murder