Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Police arrest 21-year-old in two unsolved murders in Vancouver and Surrey, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 May, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Police arrest 21-year-old in two unsolved murders in Vancouver and Surrey, B.C.

Police in Vancouver say a two-year investigation in partnership with the province's homicide investigation team has led to the arrest of a suspect in two unsolved murders.

They say an 18-year-old was found dead at Hazelnut Meadows Park in Surrey on May 26, 2022, and the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team began searching for a suspect.

Ten months later, a 22-year-old man was stabbed and killed at a Vancouver home near Boundary Road and East 45th Avenue.

The murder victims had no connection but Vancouver police and the homicide team gathered evidence that eventually linked a single suspect to both cases.

The department says in a news release that the 21-year-old was arrested on Thursday in Vancouver

Nahom Gizaw is accused of two counts of second-degree murder and remains in custody.

Sgt. Freda Fong of the homicide investigation team says in the news release that the charge approval by the BC Prosecution Service is a "significant milestone."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

MORE National ARTICLES

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter
Global Affairs Canada says it is aware of the death of a Canadian citizen in Russia. But the department won't confirm reports the Canadian was among four foreign fighters who had crossed into Russia to fight for Ukraine.

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says she hopes countries from around the world will support a plan to bring back Ukrainian children who have been deported to Russia since the war in Ukraine began nearly three years ago. Joly urged more than 60 delegations attending a ministerial conference in Montreal on Wednesday to make a “strong pledge” to ensure children and other Ukrainian civilians are returned home. 

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign
Longtime Liberal operative Andrew Bevan was named the new national campaign director two weeks ago and made his first presentation to the full caucus during the weekly meeting. The next election must be held by Oct. 20, 2025, but it could come much sooner. The Conservatives and Bloc Québécois have pledged to try to bring down the minority government this fall.

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference
Earlier this month, Trudeau told a public inquiry that he has been given the names of past and present Conservative parliamentarians and candidates who are linked to foreign interference. Trudeau said members from other parties, including the Liberals, have also been flagged.

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman
A British Columbia judge has granted an injunction stopping a woman's medically assisted death, the day before it was scheduled to take place in Vancouver.  The injunction granted on Saturday to the woman's common-law partner prevents Dr. Ellen Wiebe or any other medical professional from helping end the life of the 53-year-old Alberta woman within 30 days.

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman

Drug-trafficking investigation leads to charges against 19 people in northern B.C.

Drug-trafficking investigation leads to charges against 19 people in northern B.C.
Federal prosecutors have approved charges against 19 people, eight of them still at large, after an investigation into what police call a violent drug trafficking network in northeastern British Columbia. A statement from B.C.'s Combined Special Forces Enforcement Unit says two of the 11 people who were arrested remain in custody, while the others have been released with conditions as they move through the judicial process.

Drug-trafficking investigation leads to charges against 19 people in northern B.C.