Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Police arrest 21-year-old in two unsolved murders in Vancouver and Surrey, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 May, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Police arrest 21-year-old in two unsolved murders in Vancouver and Surrey, B.C.

Police in Vancouver say a two-year investigation in partnership with the province's homicide investigation team has led to the arrest of a suspect in two unsolved murders.

They say an 18-year-old was found dead at Hazelnut Meadows Park in Surrey on May 26, 2022, and the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team began searching for a suspect.

Ten months later, a 22-year-old man was stabbed and killed at a Vancouver home near Boundary Road and East 45th Avenue.

The murder victims had no connection but Vancouver police and the homicide team gathered evidence that eventually linked a single suspect to both cases.

The department says in a news release that the 21-year-old was arrested on Thursday in Vancouver

Nahom Gizaw is accused of two counts of second-degree murder and remains in custody.

Sgt. Freda Fong of the homicide investigation team says in the news release that the charge approval by the BC Prosecution Service is a "significant milestone."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has directed staff to conduct a review of financial penalties for violating fire bans in an effort to potentially increase the fines. It comes after the city says its fire department has responded to more than 400 brush and grass fires since May 1st, most of which were caused by human activity.

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

19 year old charged in extortion crimes
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 19-year-old man has been charged with almost two dozen offences related to the alleged online sexual extortion of teenagers. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the investigation began after victims in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario reported to local police that they were being extorted for money after sharing explicit images with someone they met on social media platforms.

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada
Human-caused climate change is making heat waves much more likely, the federal government says, bringing extreme weather from fires to storms. That's according to Environment and Climate Change Canada's rapid extreme weather event attribution system, which compares today's climate to a pre-industrial one.

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'
A statement from the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative issued Monday says the decision to file for creditor protection stems from the group's "liquidity crisis," with stone fruit crops damaged by weather identified as "the final tipping point" in a series of factors.

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary
RCMP in Alberta say one of two suspects wanted in a deadly shooting east of Calgary last week has been arrested, but the search continues for the other. With assistance from the Edmonton Police Service, Mounties announced Monday night they arrested a 35-year-old suspect in the Alberta capital on August 8.

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Debit card theft in New Westminster

Debit card theft in New Westminster
The New Westminster Police Department has issued a pickpocketing warning after a woman had her debit card stolen and lost over two-thousand dollars. Police say the victim’s card was stolen and then the card was used for 25 hundred dollars in purchases and withdrawals. 

Debit card theft in New Westminster