Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Police arrest 21-year-old in two unsolved murders in Vancouver and Surrey, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 May, 2025 11:30 AM
  • Police arrest 21-year-old in two unsolved murders in Vancouver and Surrey, B.C.

Police in Vancouver say a two-year investigation in partnership with the province's homicide investigation team has led to the arrest of a suspect in two unsolved murders.

They say an 18-year-old was found dead at Hazelnut Meadows Park in Surrey on May 26, 2022, and the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team began searching for a suspect.

Ten months later, a 22-year-old man was stabbed and killed at a Vancouver home near Boundary Road and East 45th Avenue.

The murder victims had no connection but Vancouver police and the homicide team gathered evidence that eventually linked a single suspect to both cases.

The department says in a news release that the 21-year-old was arrested on Thursday in Vancouver

Nahom Gizaw is accused of two counts of second-degree murder and remains in custody.

Sgt. Freda Fong of the homicide investigation team says in the news release that the charge approval by the BC Prosecution Service is a "significant milestone."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

MORE National ARTICLES

Fight brewing at CRTC over first Online News Act payment by Google

Fight brewing at CRTC over first Online News Act payment by Google
A new fight is playing out at the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission over the first $100-million annual payment Google agreed to pay Canadian news outlets.  The Canadian Journalism Collective, the group tasked by Google to distribute the money to news outlets, has submitted plans for its governance structure to the CRTC. 

Fight brewing at CRTC over first Online News Act payment by Google

B.C. judge refuses cash award to claimant who takes part in 'underground economy'

B.C. judge refuses cash award to claimant who takes part in 'underground economy'
A provincial court judge in Surrey has thrown out a small claims case between a lumber company and a fence building firm over an "unlawful scheme" between the two to avoid paying GST and PST.  The principal of Top Quality Lumber Ltd., Amarjit Dhaliwal, told the court in June that H & R Fencing owed his company almost $21,000, but H & R's owner said it was closer to $4,000 in unpaid bills. 

B.C. judge refuses cash award to claimant who takes part in 'underground economy'

B.C. wildfires holding steady at about 350 with lightning in the forecast

B.C. wildfires holding steady at about 350 with lightning in the forecast
A statement from the First Nation outside Vernon on Thursday says BC Wildfire Service personnel were working to maintain guards around the seven-square-kilometre Hullcar Mountain blaze while helicopters douse it with water. The blaze is one of nine wildfires of note in the province, meaning the fires are either highly visible or pose a threat to public safety and infrastructure.

B.C. wildfires holding steady at about 350 with lightning in the forecast

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers
The British Columbia government has appointed Dr. Jatinder Baidwan as the province's new chief coroner following the retirement of Lisa Lapointe earlier this year. The Ministry of Public Safety says in a statement that Baidwan takes on the role after serving as the chief medical officer for the BC Coroners Service since 2017.

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

Assault on hijab wearing woman

Assault on hijab wearing woman
Police in Metro Vancouver say they're investigating an assault on a woman wearing a hijab as a possible hate crime. New Westminster Police say they received a report of an assault inside a fast-food restaurant at about 10 o'clock Sunday night.

Assault on hijab wearing woman

Canada pulls diplomats' kids out of Israel as fear of broader war builds

Canada pulls diplomats' kids out of Israel as fear of broader war builds
The Canadian government says it decided to pull its diplomats' children and their guardians out of Israel, amid fears over an expanded Mideast war. Global Affairs Canada says it has approved the temporary relocation of the children and their guardians to a safe third country.

Canada pulls diplomats' kids out of Israel as fear of broader war builds